Tubular Chassis Components?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
John: Where the stock rails are at their shallowest becomes the limiting factor, my idea allows for at least 40>50mm in z Vs 12mm for an external rail.

Think of it as boxing the seat rails then connecting them across the Trans tunnel in an X configuration.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
LOL

Having seen the difference first hand of Spohn subframe connectors on an F-Body (T-Top), I'm a firm believer in chassis stiffening.

I just don't want bars running around my interior ala a cage. I love the Supra for its touring performance - not necessarily looking for a race car here ;)

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
IJ.;1322873 said:
I'm just paranoid about ground clearence I have trouble with my driveway as it is ;)

Hell Ian, why didn't you say so? The obvious fix here would be to rebuild your entire driveway so you don't have to worry about your car. While you're at it, why not expand the garage and master bedroom too?

They should make me the Official SM Expert on Stupid Ideas.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Trav: I fully intend one day to sell here and move out a bit so I can have 4>5 acres with a BIG shed ;) (it WILL have a flat driveway)

I'm not overly concerned with the body flex as I've tuned my suspension to take the noodle effect into account.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
I am looking to build a race-ready car. I'll eventually add a 4pt cage, but given the inconvenience of door bars and A-pillar bars I doubt I'll ever move up to a 6 or 8. Personally, I want as little flex as possible, even if that means loosing an inch or two of clearance.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
300zxpwns;1322933 said:
are most of these parts your building be aluminum or what? more weight reduction and ridgity is just what we need. :)

which will come from high strength steel tubing with thin wall thicknesses, not soft aluminum

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
I'm going to make the subframe connectors out of chromoly steel.

The control arms, I haven't decided on. Leaning toward Chromoly at this point, though (for materials savings lol)

Not only do I have to make them, but they do need to be somewhat affordable, right? :D

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
thats interesting IJ pound for pound maybe since you could run larger cross sections, however i really think you could get a lighter subframe out of thin wall steel, you loose a lot of stiffness due to material properties. ultimately it all comes down to design so its not really a arguement that could be won, i could lock three engineers in a room and ask each to design a subframe and we would probably get steel, aluminum, and cast magnesium and they would all be light lol.

i just have more experience with chromoloy chassis for FSAE cars, as well as modal analysis of various body in whites where we use high strength steel in combination with aluminum for weight and stiffness.

IJ.;1322937 said:
Pound for pound T6 Al is going to be stiffer if designed correctly just more expensive and a PITA to fabricate and heat treat then cold set.

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
Doward here you are.
p1323621_1.jpg

I went in from the frame rail out to the pinch rail and then boxed it in for added strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.