Trunk Release Cable Question

Brady

Feb 4, 2007
Bay Area
www.nbhq.net
My question is how are the lines supposed to be attached?

From this picture : http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291220/catalog.aspx?F=6709&P=1

It looks like they both come in on the one side but I don't see how there would be enough slack to do that.

If anyone has their hatch taken apart and could take a pic of how its supposed to go that would be ideal, but I'd even settle for a mspaint portrait :p.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_2232.jpg
    IMG_2232.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 54

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Looks like cable just attaches under the other one. I replaced mine on the MK3 but I can't remember how it is assembled, which wouldn't be a problem since you have a pic, but it looks different, lol.

Anyays, hook it up and try it out.

fool'ssupra

Building It
Sep 14, 2008
Maryland
I just put my rear hatch area back together, but I can tell you that both cables come into the right side of the latch assembly, one under the other. The bracket in the lower left of your picture that the one cable goes into is also where you clip the second (loose) cable. Your one cable may not be routed correctly if it's that tight.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
it does come from the other side, but I can't remember how it runs. They also should clip into that white clip to keep the wire from moving while it should be stretching. One of your clips is broken, and could cause a problem. I'll search my pictures to see if I have one later. Gotta get ready to go visit the folks now.

fool'ssupra

Building It
Sep 14, 2008
Maryland
The cable runs along the bottom of the cargo area on the left hand side, pretty much following the bottom of the trim. It's bundled with the wire harness. As ForcedTorque said, there's a small plastic clip that the cable snaps into.

Txsupra

Professional Driver
Aug 23, 2008
Texas
p1191381_1.jpg

p1191381_2.jpg

Let me know if that helps. I can get some more if needed.

Brady

Feb 4, 2007
Bay Area
www.nbhq.net
Txsupra;1191381 said:
p1191436_1.jpg

p1191436_2.jpg

Let me know if that helps. I can get some more if needed.

I really appreciate you taking the time to do that for me,

although I gotta say mine looks different and I have this other cable that I dont know what its use is,

I attached a pic,

also, my trunk release cable was snaked through a hole on the left said that looks like it was made to be there so I cant see how it would be possible to run it alone the right side and still have enough to slack

Attachments

• hole.jpg
    hole.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 15
  • wtfpiece.jpg
    wtfpiece.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 21

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
remove the metal piece at the end and hook it up. or maybe your cable is backwards cuz the first pic didnt have that metal piece.

Gargoyle

Mar 13, 2006
Portland, Oregon
If I remember correctly, the cable that goes to the center light section is for your key release. The metal piece actually holds one of the cables. I can't get a picture for you but the difference may have to do with model years in the photo's, as the 1988 and older have the key lock in a different location and I don't know what year the pictured red car is.

The first picture you posted with the cable coming from the right side of the picture, goes in the metal end of the last picture you posted but for the life of me, from looking at the pics, I can't remember how both of them work the hatch release pulling form seperate sides.

Brian

Txsupra

Professional Driver
Aug 23, 2008
Texas
The red car was made in November of 87 but is tagged 1988. Are those the cables that came with the car? Did the LHD jdm cars have a different cable? maybe thats why its seems too short. mine have plenty of slack

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
My car is an 89. As you can see in this picture, there are two cables coming through from that tail panel. One is normal, and it goes to the lower position. The second is your weird cable. On my car it is left unused, and I guess could be used to do something else from the hatch key if desired. The upper position is the one coming from the interior hatch release, and as has been said, runs along the bottom edge just under the side panel. You should fish around in there to see if you can find that cable.

p1191818_1.jpg

Txsupra

Professional Driver
Aug 23, 2008
Texas
Did Supra's ever have a keyed Gas Flap opener? Could be turned on way for the hatch and the other for gas. Seems odd that you have an extra cable. Surely someone knows.

Brady

Feb 4, 2007
Bay Area
www.nbhq.net
so fished around i did and i think i can now see how the cable is routed but i dont nearly have enough slack to run it like that. am i missing something else too?