Trouble with Brake Rotor Removal

V8hntr

Undersquare
Mar 7, 2007
SoCal
As Poodles and Dumas said: I bought 8mmX30mm hex capscrews from home depot and was able to pull the rotors off. They were heavily stuck and corroded.

V8hntr

Undersquare
Mar 7, 2007
SoCal
Clip said:
i usually go name brand on brakes. if you must upgrade them, don't go with drilled (they'll eventually crack). one of the best upgrades is to just keep the stock rotors and get a better set of pads
I am just curious if Drilled rotors crack why does Porsche use drilled rotors on their cars? Probably they use much better quality control?

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Porsche uses it for high performance reasons. Remember track cars are inspected and maintained on a much more frequest basis than a street car.

Porsche brakes will develop hairline cracks like any other drilled rotors, possible be noisy when not wamred, and give off alot of dust. The difference is Porsche owners drive them less/replace them more often. It's the price you pay for perfomance.

I run Brembo blanks and I've got no complaints. I don't see the need for drilled slotted on my street car, it's all about the pads at my level.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
porsche and everyone uses them for 2 reasons...

weight savings, and 100% pure idiotic "OMG YOU HAVE CROSS DRILLED ROTORS IT MUST BE FAST"

Same reason you see 8 piston calipers now, they are NOT any better than a 6 piston, in fact some people have even tried these new calipers and they perform WORSE. It's marketing.

Myself, I'll be running arz brakes, which are slotted. Slots don't have the same issues as crossdrilled, but still allow any gasses to escape.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Poodles said:
porsche and everyone uses them for 2 reasons...

weight savings, and 100% pure idiotic "OMG YOU HAVE CROSS DRILLED ROTORS IT MUST BE FAST"

Same reason you see 8 piston calipers now, they are NOT any better than a 6 piston, in fact some people have even tried these new calipers and they perform WORSE. It's marketing.

Myself, I'll be running arz brakes, which are slotted. Slots don't have the same issues as crossdrilled, but still allow any gasses to escape.

Wrong. :nono:

weight savings? from some 2mm holes? Try again.

I think Porsche, Ferrari, etc. put more thought into it that to be "JDM tyte"
Ever hear of heat dissipation?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
that's what the vents are for

you want the most mass you can get to get the heat out of the pads and into the rotors, or you boil the brake fluid and glaze the pads

yes, there is quite a bit of weight savings, not to mention that it's unsprung and rotational weight. I'm not kidding when I say there is NOT a good reason for them to be there. Read up on it, it's 100% marketing BS...

NeatOman

Never know enough!
Oct 5, 2006
Addison, IL
I use PB blaster all the time... but if the metals do not have any grease or oil WATER! will brake it loose twice as fast Just keep on putting some on every 5 min.

Holes look cool... just to make you think you're getting something more. Slots are if you have good street pads and still want to use it on a track so basically resurface the pad so you don't bump into glazing. Almost all high performance pads do not give off gases do to heat, and the better ones are very hard to get glazed.

I you want the best setup (IMO for the money).. just buy some carbon pads for 40bux! but they will be gone in 9-12 months but will have almost no impact on the rotor! They do offer them for mk3's as well as carbon metallic witch most new cars come with now. Use a flat rotor for these as they do not fade and do not give off any gases under track conditions. Bigger is not always a good idea because it will add sprung weight to the braking system and make it harder to brake.