Trouble with Brake Rotor Removal

V8hntr

Undersquare
Mar 7, 2007
SoCal
I am upgrading my brakes with ss lines, street performance pads and wanted to remove the rotors for resurfacing or upgrading to cross drilled ones but the front ones wont budge at all. On the rear hub it looks like there is a large 28 mm or so center nut which needs to be removed first. On the front one I am guessing I have to use a wheel puller possibly. Doesnt look like it's bolted on the hub or anything. I searched other threads and TSRM but I couldnt find anything on how to remove it. Any helpful comments would be appreciated.

'89 7mgte build forged internals, 60 trim CT 26, 11psi pump gas...etc

Mr. Sinister

Aug 30, 2005
Chicago
Rotor is probably frozen (rusted) to the hub. Spray it with some penetrating oil (liquid wrench, etc.) before trying to take it off. I usually whack it with a hammer and a block of wood so the rotor won't get marred. Same thing for the rear rotor. You shouldn't have to take any nuts off to get the rotor off. Make sure your parking brake is disengaged also.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
no

don't use a hammer, it's a good way to fuck up the rotor/spindel/bearings

there are holes in the rotor face that you screw bolts into to push the rotor off. The rotor usually seizes around the hub, so take a die grinder with a wire wheel and knock the rust off

88YotaTurbo

Feb 26, 2006
Wolcott, Ct.
First thing is funny but don't laugh it has happened to me. When you have the rear end of the ground chuck the front wheels and let the Emergency brake down or off. The e brake shoes will prevent the rotor from coming off. If your force it off you will more then likely destroy the ebrake. If this doesn't work use the holes to pry the rotor from the hub.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Poodles nailed it. Use a 12mm bolt in the two threaded holes in the rotor, and nothing else, except for maybe a little PB Blaster.

I fought my rears for two hours, somebody suggested this, and I had them both off in 15 minutes.

YouGotSpooled

Aug 3, 2006
Saskatoon, Sk. Canada
Just want to say, I got my brakes from OCautosports on ebay. All were a perfect fit and came with all the brake pads that fit perfect aswell. I got cross drilled and slotted rotors and there zinc plated. Got them for a good price too. $213 USD for all 4 plus shipping. Great guys to deal with, and a great product so far. Check them out. If they dont have anything listed, just call them. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0137207640&category0=&fvi=1&item=140137207640

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
i usually go name brand on brakes. if you must upgrade them, don't go with drilled (they'll eventually crack). one of the best upgrades is to just keep the stock rotors and get a better set of pads

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
if the stock rotors are still within spec, get em turned.

they're better quality than 99% of the rotors out there... especially on ebay

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
How about Brembo slotted rotors? I thought I saw them in the $200 - $250 range, and have assumed they are pretty good. It's what I was going to put on my Christmas list.

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
Poodles is right. But a normal mechanic would just hammer it off. Its what i was taught! Another reason to just service your own car.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
brembo slotted rotors are brembo blakes that have been put on a mill

some cletus in his garage could do it

the same with crossdrilled brembos

Unless the rotor is designed for it, I wouldn't run them. Not to mention you're taking mass out of the already thin rotors, so the heat goes someplace else. Like say your brake fluid.

Boiling brake fluid = NO BRAKES

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Poodles said:
brembo slotted rotors are brembo blakes that have been put on a mill

some cletus in his garage could do it

the same with crossdrilled brembos

Unless the rotor is designed for it, I wouldn't run them. Not to mention you're taking mass out of the already thin rotors, so the heat goes someplace else. Like say your brake fluid.

Boiling brake fluid = NO BRAKES

i hope this isnt the case =/ i bought mine from a vendor on this site. i'll message him.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
lol, now I gotta hide...

if it was from a vendor here, I wouldn't be too worried...

some fool off of ebay... sure would be

tubbie

Yes, powerful Jedi....
Apr 4, 2005
Hoschton, GA
Been running ebay cross drilled/slotted rotors (the lowest priced ones) on my supra and lexus for 3-4 years now. Absolutely no problems.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
he doesnt sell them anymore because he ran into problems. looks like im going to have to upgrade to a big brake kit now :3d_frown:

:sarcasm:

::w00t::

ive had mine in my car for about 3 years and they look good as new...but i dont abuse my car too much and i havent put many miles on it.... and its garaged every day =/

but still now i'd hate to risk it.