TRD TEMS SHOX = KYB's

JonnyRedline

Lickalotapus
Sep 2, 2005
Supra's Interior
so i got my suspention in the mail the other day (bought off mattonedime) and engraved on the TRD shocks are KYB...so im guessing kyb designed the shocks for toyota? but then again i never knew kyb made tems compatible shocks:squint:

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
LOL My thoughts exactly Jeff!
But this doesn't mean that KYB made a tems-compatible shock under their own nomenclature, eh?

JonnyRedline

Lickalotapus
Sep 2, 2005
Supra's Interior
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
I believe that for the last 40 years if it comes from Nippon it's probably going to have KYB's. Even Dirt bikes of all brands have come with Kayaba's or KYB. I'm a big believer of KYB Gas Shock since Ive had them on every car ive owned since the mid seventies. One set on my old 68 dodge van were perfectly good when I gave the van away after 18 years of kid hauling, traveling and desert camping chalking up at least 500K miles outlasting 2 engines. A buddy has them on his 69 400 Firebid he bought in 1975, they still work awesome. I did look to see if they had replacment KYB's for my TEMS but the website showed them discontinued. I buy all my KYB's thru summintracing.com. If anyone has the KYB number for the TEMs replacement shock's for an 89 I would love to have it to see if anyone has a set on thier shelves.

Rick

Bullz_EyE

ToP DeaD CenTeR
Jan 26, 2006
San Diego, CA
It's a common practice in the industry to outsource a company to manufacture its products to their own proprietary specifications. Tanabe also uses KYB to manufacture its shocks.

Bullz_EyE

ToP DeaD CenTeR
Jan 26, 2006
San Diego, CA
Just clarifying that KYB did not design the shocks, as assumed in the original post...

What is it you want to know then? What you are "asking" is obscure.

Bullz_EyE

ToP DeaD CenTeR
Jan 26, 2006
San Diego, CA
Yes and no. Yes KYB will manufacture them, and yes TRD designed them, but No, KYB does not sell them only under the TRD badge, TRD sells them under the TRD badge, because in essence it is their shock from which they hold the legal rights to. As is the case with the dampers for Tanabe's full-coilovers. There's a high probability there may be others too, but at this time I don't which ones they are.

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
My friend works for Toyota as an engineer.
He says TRD is just a distrubution house. TRD really doesn't anything. And Toyota part are made by a lot of different vendors and shops for Toyota.

Just like the Toyota stereos used to be Fujitsu Ten. I don't know if they still are.