Trash Can Dash Light, Weird Idle, and other issues

Jake_ak_cent

May 19, 2011
Utah
So I just bought my first supra.::w00t:: Its a red 88 Turbo, with a manual trans, and Targa Top. 94,000m and I was able to get it for cheap.

It has a few small issues that I have been trying to work out though.

First, there are 2 lights on on the dash. The first one is on the left, and the best way I can describe it is it looks like a trash can. It is has done it all; Solid illumination, Flashing, and Turning itself off. Any idea what this light means?

Second, there is a light that has a picture of a car, with lines coming off the back corners of it. I believe it is next to the Door Ajar light.

Now onto the engine issues. The idle is off. It will idle between 1500-2000rpm for a while, and then it will slowly start to basically did, and I have to give it gas to keep it going. I'm thinking the MAF (or is it AFM with Supras) might be dirty/going, but with that basically a wild guess. Any idea what's causing this?

Also I have a very small coolant leak from a coolant hose, and I'm pretty sure it's one near/above the front of the turbo. There is like three hoses there, and Im pretty sure it one of those three. I have no clue what they are called though.

Also, I know its common for speedos to not work, but has anyone heard of a speedo off, like really off. I was driving the Supra home, and the speedo said I was doing 50 (in a 35 :eek3:) but the cars behind me were right on my a** like I was going to slow. Maybe it's just the drivers around here, cause they are crazy. But if my speedo is off, how do I fix that? I'll try to confirm with further testing, wheres those electronic speed signs when you need one?

Other than that, I'm having a blast with the car, and its in pretty good condition. And I love looking at it (-the sawblades :barf: hahaha) Thanks in advance for any help, YES, I AM ACTIVELY USING THE SEARCH FUNCTION. :biglaugh:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
First light is a small radiator telling you that the coolant overflow is empty.

Second is for the tail lights. Either you have a bulb out or the light failure sensor under the drivers tail is bad.

The coolant lines for the turbo are just 3/8 hose. There is also a little l shaped hose under the t stat housing that likes to leak as well.

Check the codes for the idle issue to start out.
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/TechTips/engine_error_codes.aspx

Jake_ak_cent

May 19, 2011
Utah
hvyman;1716949 said:
First light is a small radiator telling you that the coolant overflow is empty.
Yikes, better get that taken care of quick.

hvyman;1716949 said:
Second is for the tail lights. Either you have a bulb out or the light failure sensor under the drivers tail is bad.
Well all the tail lights/turn signals are working so looks like it is the sensor.

hvyman;1716949 said:
The coolant lines for the turbo are just 3/8 hose. There is also a little l shaped hose under the t stat housing that likes to leak as well.

3/8 hose. Got it.

hvyman;1716949 said:
I'll see if I have a big paper click. If it has stored codes, do I need to start counting as so as the car turns on, or will it steady blink for a couple seconds, and then go into the code sequences?

Jake_ak_cent

May 19, 2011
Utah
Ok, I tried the paper clip deal, and its not working. No CEL at all. I tried 5 times. Maybe I need a bigger paper clip haha.
And there was what looked like yellow grease on all the terminals. Dont know what thats from.

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
Jake_ak_cent;1716961 said:
Ok, I tried the paper clip deal, and its not working. No CEL at all. I tried 5 times. Maybe I need a bigger paper clip haha.
And there was what looked like yellow grease on all the terminals. Dont know what thats from.

You can also use some speaker wire, And that electronic grease is there to protect it.
If there are no codes it will just blink.

Jake_ak_cent

May 19, 2011
Utah
mk3tattoos;1716982 said:
You can also use some speaker wire, And that electronic grease is there to protect it.
If there are no codes it will just blink.

I dont know if I have any of that. Either way, I'll find something to do it with.

SupraCorwin

Shadow
Oct 14, 2008
Washington
In my first supra the speedo was off about that much, previous owner had swapped the w58 trans for a r154. I never really dug into the problem but that might be something to look at.

Also don't try to clean the AFM sensor with sensor cleaner, it will only make it worse.

Jake_ak_cent

May 19, 2011
Utah
hvyman;1716991 said:
Just turn the key to the on position dont start it.

Right......

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

SupraCorwin;1716994 said:
In my first supra the speedo was off about that much, previous owner had swapped the w58 trans for a r154. I never really dug into the problem but that might be something to look at.

Also don't try to clean the AFM sensor with sensor cleaner, it will only make it worse.

Yeah no way I'm cleaning that with cleaner. I've done enough searching to know sensor cleaner and Supras dont mix.

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

:: angry :: Ok, well, I may have just discovered a bigger problem. I tried again, without starting it this time, and still no check engine light. As in it doesn't Illuminate at all. I'm beginning to think it may be disconnected. How do I check to see if it's still hooked up?

Jake_ak_cent

May 19, 2011
Utah
Here are some pictures of how I had it hooked up. (sorry for crappy cellphone pics)
p1717022_1.jpg

p1717022_2.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Dopes the check engine light come on when the ign is in the on position and the paper clip out?

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
hvyman;1717027 said:
Dopes the check engine light come on when the ign is in the on position and the paper clip out?

Yea check to see if the CEL is even there/not burnt out, buy a repair manual, and welcome to the ride that is mkiii ownership :)

Jake_ak_cent

May 19, 2011
Utah
Well, I am not having a good morning. I put my phone into a wall, so now I have to buy a new one, and I pulled the gauges, and sure enough, no bulb in the check engine light position. I'm gonna beat that f:: angry ::cker down next time I see him.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Fucker is the word, people suck, but dude that's something you check for when you buy a car, turn the key to ON and make sure all the lights work. Next time.

Anyways replace the bulb, you heard. MA717MGTE, #74.

- from my Archos 5 IT