transporting a car through 3 states

supra1642

Aug 28, 2007
Michigan
i'm driving a supra i just bought from kentucky to michigan and i was wondering if anyone knows if its ok to drive without a plate and just insurance. i know in michigan you have 3 days from when you buy it to transport it to a destination and get plates, but you must have insurance. is this the same for ohio and kentucky. anyhelp is greatly appreciated.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I have done that a few times.

I typically just throw a plate on from another car to reduce the chance I'll get hassled.

I was pulled over once for speeding, I just showed the officer the homemade bill of sale and he sent me on my way.

supra1642

Aug 28, 2007
Michigan
well i'm gonna have a bill of sale and all that and i don't want to throw a random plate on for fear of getting pulled and car towed. i'm mostly worried about the ohio police cuz i heard they are assholes. but if anyone else knows for sure let me know please.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I drove the last one out of Akron this way.

If you are paranoid - find a currency exchange or DMV station in Ohio and pick up a drive-away permit.

You just show them your bill of sale and ID (and possibly insurance). IIRC, it'll cost you about $10. You can drive the car legally for 7 days on that.

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
Yeah it is NOT ok if you're in VA, MD, PA or some other states around here. They will towwww your car. But in MD all you need is the title and $20 and you can drive for 30 days on temp tags.

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized that didn't help at all. My bad.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Michigan offers a 30 or 60 day temporary registration. You'll need some vehicle information, but you can get that and then pick up the registration before you leave.

Either one of the temp registrations will make you legal in all states that you will be driving through.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Put a plate from a car you own on there, keep the bill of sale, proof of insurance and obviously your ID on you and don't do anything stupid and you should be just fine.