transmission

supraman508

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
I want to change the transmission fluid on my ge.is their a plug under the transmission pan.How would you go about draining the fluid?

kHaNg

Like FAtHer Like SoN
Apr 17, 2007
Mass
and then you need to find a funnel that will fit the tranny dipstick hole

Last edited:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
kHaNg;986079 said:
and then you need to find a funnel that will fit the tranny dipstick hole

OR, get a transmission oil pump from any hardware/auto parts store for 5 bucks.
OR, do it the alternative way by taking out the shifter.

Personally, I think it's better to do from underneath the car with a pump, that way you know exactly when it's full. If you do the alternative way, you need to either trust your estimation of fluid going in or undo the fill plug... which would defeat the purpose of doing from the shifter in the first place.

supraman508

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
suprarx7nut;986154 said:

Personally, I think it's better to do from underneath the car with a pump, that way you know exactly when it's full. If you do the alternative way, you need to either trust your estimation of fluid going in or undo the fill plug... which would defeat the purpose of doing from the shifter in the first place.
Thanks guys,you been a HUGE HELP.thanks again.:icon_razz

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
South Shields, Tyne & Wear ENGLAND
suprarx7nut;986154 said:

if its an auto it cant be done that way.

if its an auto measure out what was drained off and then using a clean measuring jug put the same amount back into the box through the dipstick tube in the engine bay.

this is if its an auto

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Finnon;987941 said:
if its an auto it cant be done that way.

if its an auto measure out what was drained off and then using a clean measuring jug put the same amount back into the box through the dipstick tube in the engine bay.

this is if its an auto

They sell funnels that are made for auto trannies I think. Mine is a nice clear measuring cup with a long flexible tube. It fits right into the dipstick tube and has a valve so you can fill the cup then release the fluid when you want.

Cost a few bucks and has been well used lol.

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
South Shields, Tyne & Wear ENGLAND
iwannadie;989830 said:
They sell funnels that are made for auto trannies I think. Mine is a nice clear measuring cup with a long flexible tube. It fits right into the dipstick tube and has a valve so you can fill the cup then release the fluid when you want.

Cost a few bucks and has been well used lol.

i had to get set of funnels of various sizes and jamb them all together and then be real carefull that i didnt spill any as it tried to overfill each funnel. stupid shop round my way didnt sell an auto box funnel