transmission swap ?tion

jrome08

Aug 22, 2009
san antonio
Just something iv been wondering i saw a 89 n/a for sale and was thinking of looking at but im not into automatics strictly standard. Just wanted to see what all needs to be done to drop the 5 speed in and auto if its pretty simple or not??? any info would be appreciated

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Simple is realitive too the person asking "is it simple"...

You'll need everything from a manual car....whatever the manual has that the auto doesn't you'll need...

By you asking what you'll need then that makes me think that you really don't wrench much...which would in turn have me believe that this swap is over your head...but for the other 89% of the members here who have been doing this for some time now could pretty much do it in a day weekend at most...

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
I had just did the a swap with a friend 87 N/A W-58 to R-154 it was pretty easy just labor and having all the tools. But since you are auto you will need to swap the ECU i believe.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
An auto ecu and a manual ecu are the same engine wise. but the auto ecu has more circuits to drive the auto gearbox......

When going to a manual gearbox don't you have to by-pass the neutral-safety switch on a auto ECU? or just find a MT ECU and plug it in?

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Turbo Habanero;1422584 said:
I had just did the a swap with a friend 87 N/A W-58 to R-154 it was pretty easy just labor and having all the tools. But since you are auto you will need to swap the ECU i believe.

If you don't know for sure don't answer Tech type questions you're NOT helping anyone.... :nono:

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
IJ.;1422649 said:
If you don't know for sure don't answer Tech type questions you're NOT helping anyone.... :nono:

thats why i word as a question so i can figure it out was not saying he wrong or i was right at all.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Turbo Habanero;1422659 said:
thats why i word as a question so i can figure it out was not saying he wrong or i was right at all.

A couple of minutes of searching would have given you the correct answer then you could have posted that, it's not like this issue hasn't been covered before.