transmission stuck in reverse help please...

Vash

Sep 9, 2012
Tennessee
Ok, so I was helping a buddy do an auto to manual swap in his car and everything is done. During the process I had to remove the rear housing to install his shift selector because the transmission he got didn't have one in it. After finishing the job and firing the car up (thank god on jack stands still) it's stuck in reverse. Even with the car off you can't get the shifter to go into any other gear. When I took the rear housing back off, of the 3 shift selectors the top one was pushed on and the bottom two still in the middle like neutral. I pulled it back in line with the others and the shaft spins freely. When putting the rear housing back on it keeps knocking that top lever forward? ???? How can I fix this???

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Did you stand the trans mission on end? The reverse idler gear can drop into place if you do.

Also one of the detent balls will fall out if you don't take it out first when you pull the extension housing off.

Aleo24

Aug 15, 2011
Perth
I've heard of people shocking the transmission by dropping it to free up the reverse gear but personally its probably better to pull it apart and disengage reverse.

Did you follow the TRSM when taking off the rear housing?

Vash

Sep 9, 2012
Tennessee
Yes, but I wasn't the first to remove the rear housing being the shift selector was already out...............hmm this isn't going to be fun.

Vash

Sep 9, 2012
Tennessee
But I can pull the one shift lever back forward and spin the transmission freely so that would mean it's not stuck right? It's just every time I put it back together that lever pops back forward and sticks it in gear and I can't get it out.