Transmission shift forks rounded

JimR

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Canada
I have my transmission partly disassembled to have a look at what may be causing a "catch" when going from 2nd to 3rd gear. Sometimes, particularly when shifting fast and hard, the shifter will catch inbetween the 1st and 3rd positions.

I've found that with the shift lever housing in a particular position, when I pull on it both the 1st and 3rd gear shift forks try to move at once. Of course this does not go anywhere.

Anyway, I've noticed that the ends of two of my shift fork shafts have a slant on either side. Have a look at my first attachment. Is this normal? Or have those slants been worn in by the shift&select lever. The second attachment shows the selecting end of that lever itself. Once again, the metal has slants on each side.

What I'd like to know is if the 1-2 and 3-4 shift fork shaft ends should look like the 5-R end.

Thanks,
Jim

Attachments

• DSC00063.JPG
    DSC00063.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC00064.JPG
    DSC00064.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 45

JimR

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Canada
For anyone disassembling the transmission like I have, the torx bolts are all size T40.

Any opinions on the shift forks? Anyone else have pictures they could post up?

Thanks

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
This isnt much help, but if youre talking about the very visible angle on both edges, i highly doubt you could wear an edge like that. Those things are made of hardened steel i dont think wear like that would be realistic, but this is just a guess since your thread needs a bump anyways;)

JimR

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Canada
I agree. That's my assumption as well, but I don't know what new ones look like. It would be great to see a picture of some new shift fork shaft ends!

I wonder what could be causing the catch...