Trans Vibration

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
Well, the high gas prices haven't been too nice to my Supra. She hasn't been running too much over the past few months, but I've got quite a few parts on the way to get her back in top shape. I was driving her home from work the other night and decided to get on the highway and stretch her legs a bit. She was accellerating normally, but after about 5000 rpm the shifter started to vibrate noticably - something I dont remember happening a couple months ago when I was driving her more often. I didn't feel it through the steering wheel or the chassis (my ass in the seat) - only through the shifter......any ideas on what could be causing this?

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
My first thought also.....I'll crawl under there when I'm doing my brakes soon and make sure everything is tight and where it's supposed to be...might have to get that one piece DS sooner than I thought.....

PorterzSupra

Oct 25, 2005
Hebron CT
OMG yea!! mine gets really bad when I remove the top, like the rear view mirror shakes and everything also get the vibration at about 135+

antman

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
TN
i don't think all of you have the same problem. i think some of you have a tire or two out of balance.

Squid: if your reaching those rpms, expect somthing to rattle. my shifter does it to, but only if i hold a steady high rpm without load. figure its a wore out shifter graumit(i'm sure thats misspelled).

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Squid, I'd say its either a bearing inside the trans about to explode, a loose trans, or a blown carrier bearing on the drive shaft.

Porterz... thats called targa flex. Its a nasty little thing our mk3s do.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
Well I crawled under there today while I was overhauling my brakes and i found that my center support bearing is indeed bad. It offers almost no resistance when I push up on it. Hopefully that is the problem.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
check your gear oil, too. my last w58 (i'm turboswapped, thats why i have a w58/T) decided it wanted to shake alot when it leaked all the gear oil out the rear seal, then exploded. :(

-shaeff

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
There's no indication that i'm leaking oil out of the plugs or rear seal....but since she's still up in the air I guess I should use that 24mm wrench I got just for that lol

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Squid699 said:
There's no indication that i'm leaking oil out of the plugs or rear seal....but since she's still up in the air I guess I should use that 24mm wrench I got just for that lol

there was no indication of it on mine, either. it would only leak out when i drove. i always check my parking place(s) to see if there's anything that leaked from my vehicle(s). never a drop. it leaked out only when i was driving, and all stuck to the bottom of the car. (imagine how surprised i was when my tranny started to vibrate, then blew up on me) i got it home, jacked it up, and the entire underside of my car was coated with gear oil.

-shaeff

antman

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
TN
so you guys are telling me that when you take your targa out thats your cars shake and rattle?

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
Damn Cap......I had a death in the family in Enid, but I couldn't make it out there for the funeral....that would've worked out too well........we'll see how my tax returns are before i decide what to do......checking the gear oil prob wed.