Tranny noises?? **Video Added

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
My Supra 88 Supra Turbo Auto recently started making some nasty rattling noise when cold during warm up. It only happens when it revs up over 1500 rpms. And it sounds really nasty when you rev it more than that. Once it gets to normal operating temps it goes away.

At first I thought it was coming from the turbo or some of the heat shielding, but I used a stethiscope and it seems to be coming from the tranny. From around the area where the block and tranny meet. Any one have any ideas. It makes a screaching rattling sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF6lbPFblX4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s_4xUtj5nM

Last edited:

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Possible torque converter or pump issue, starter bendix hanging up, last main bearing, slightly loose flexplate or torque converter bolts...

Does it leak trans fluid at the bell housing?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
SrBigbutt;1460917 said:
Would that only make a noise when cold? Once it warms up and I drive around a while it doesn't make the noise anymore.

When something heats up, it expands. This can take up a gap or freeplay.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
It doesn't leak any trans fluid. I just got the tranny cable properly adjusted. Shifts much nicer now. I have been having some idle issues lately that are not consistent. Sometimes its really high around 2k and I have to shut it off and back on again and it goes back to normal. Sometimes it just stays high until it warms up. This causes really rough engagement into R and D. And upshifts are pretty rough too. Once the idle gets back to normal its fine.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
I've done some more reading and got under my car again and I thinking its a drive plate issue. But i'm not sure. Is there any way to inspect without dropping the tranny?

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Anybody have any ideas? I guess I have to pull the trans. I would like to have replacement parts ready before I do. The noise does not seem to be going away anymore.

It seems to shift fine, but I am starting to feel more vibrations.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Really does sound like a trans pump whining, but hard to tell on a vid. What does the trans fluid look and smell like?

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Sounds like more of a whining than it did before and especially under the car. It still has a rattle that you can't really hear on the video.

Fluid looks and smells normal. Atleast to me anyway. I replaced the filter and flushed it a couple months ago. Could it be overfilled? Its really hard for me to tell.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
I'm failry convinced its the torque converter now. It starts to vibrate when coasting at a constant speed and feels like it has lack of power. It also seemed like it didn't want to lock up today at a light.

Looks like I will be posting in the wanted ads for a torque converter. Hopefully I can find one cheap. Or else I will be looking for a donor car for a 5spd swap.