tranny noise

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
hey guys ive been having a problem, it started a couple of years ago,its like a bad bearing noise, in gear on not it whines when clutch is out and stops when its in, since then i had the tranny fully rebuilt by the best known tranny shop in my area, after i installed the tranny, is still had the same noise-pedal in no noise, pedal out noise starts up and it whines in 1st and 2nd, about half a year later i did a rebuild on the engine and took the tranny back to that shop, and told them about the noise, they took it apart and said eveything was perfect, so when i was putting it back in i also replace the throw out bearing and the bearing that goes in the crank(forgot what its called) and after all that still same noise:icon_mad:

im gonna be replacing the clutch soon, anyone have any ideas about what i should do? someone said the clearances in the release hub might have something to do with it-is that possible?

armyastro

full body shave t04 mk3
Sep 16, 2005
radcliff ky
mine does it too and when you push the clutch in the noise stops, did that with my lexus too. just depends on the clutch i guess

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
how is it possible it could be the clutch?

any way ill have to thouroughly inspect everything when i replace the clutch.....ill post pics of anything suspicious

armyastro

full body shave t04 mk3
Sep 16, 2005
radcliff ky
max-89supra(t);1499064 said:
how is it possible it could be the clutch?

any way ill have to thouroughly inspect everything when i replace the clutch.....ill post pics of anything suspicious

pressure plate is spinning all the time with the clutch hub snap ringed to the center of the plate making noise spinning, when you press in the clutch the fork puts pressure on the hub and takes away the loosness and the noise.. common sense

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
It's the bearing between the Input shaft and Mainshaft, the hardening on the snout of the mainshaft is quite shallow/thin and over the years wears down and exposes the soft material underneath.

Sitting idling in neutral clutch out the input and clustershaft are turning at roughly the same speed but due to the wear aren't in perfect alignment so you get a grumble, push the clutch in and the input shaft stops spinning and the noise goes away, release the clutch it comes back.

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
IJ.;1499182 said:
It's the bearing between the Input shaft and Mainshaft, the hardening on the snout of the mainshaft is quite shallow/thin and over the years wears down and exposes the soft material underneath.

Sitting idling in neutral clutch out the input and clustershaft are turning at roughly the same speed but due to the wear aren't in perfect alignment so you get a grumble, push the clutch in and the input shaft stops spinning and the noise goes away, release the clutch it comes back.

so would I have to replace the whole mainshaft thats inside the tranny?:icon_mad:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
max-89supra(t);1500043 said:
so would I have to replace the whole mainshaft thats inside the tranny?:icon_mad:

I've had one welded and reground before but it was damn expensive on top of a full rebuild, probably better finding one that isn't trashed.

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
IJ.;1500085 said:
I've had one welded and reground before but it was damn expensive on top of a full rebuild, probably better finding one that isn't trashed.

ok, wells thanks man you finally answered my question that no one else could for a while....thanks

ill probably not do anything to it for a while since the noise isnt that bad, it was mostly just driving me crazy that i didnt know what it was

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Does the noise go away in 4th gear? If theres no change in direct drive, its more likely just your input shaft bearing... My w58 makes a little bit of whirring noise in nuetral with the clutch engaged, but seems to be pretty normal. Not sure how loud yours is.