Track vids- VIR 11/19/07

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
Here are links to a couple quick vids I put together from last week at VIR.
The first was a spin just after going green as the track was drying up, then getting back to speed a lap later chasing the 944 Turbo:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4000422762726822612

The second was chasing my buddy in his R32, both on street tires but he's a good driver (local kart hotshoe) I should have been able to pull on him more on the straights though (I'm suspecting clutch issues and a tired bottom end, didn't want to pull much after 5k in 3rd and beyond) It was back and forth the whole session but I wasn't gaining enough on the straights and his low end torque (VR6, 15 deg. V6) was getting me out of the sharp corners.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-333012521794688603&q=R32+VIR+site%3Avideo.google.com&total=3&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

I've got some more I might post soon, trust me it's not as slow in the car as the vids make it look :)
Brian

rcsupra

Supraddict
Sep 19, 2007
Harrisonburg, VA
The videos look great Brian, looks like a lot of fun! That spin looks like it just crept up on you with little warning, but I'm sure it was fun regardless.

Are you planning on doing the VIR Patriot course NASA event in Feb? If all goes well I should be there in my car, I'm sure there will be some wet weather, I can't promise I won't have an off course excursion of my own :icon_razz I'd really like to have the car lowered by then, but that may just be wishful thinking....we can see how stock 20 year old TEMS performs perhaps!

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
hey guys as promised i will get out of the midwest region and head down to some MA events this year. i will be making either the feb or march trip to VIR to run the full course

even though its a 6 hour drive its worth it because VIR is amazing and my regions aka midwest and oh/in dont start up until april ill also probably be attending a summit point race

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Did you pass the vette in the first video? What is a R32? Cool video and looks like a lot of fun. I've never wanted to road race until now!

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Looks like a fun track, I'd like to run it sometime. The club I belonged to ran there 3 times a year.

Is it a club that you belong to? Was that an instructor that was with you in the car?

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
It's VIR in Alton, Va on the VA/NC border. I'm still on street tires, this was the 3rd track event I've done and yes, that's an instructor. He's pointing to make sure I'm looking ahead to where I should, once you're on track that stuff makes a lot more sense, if you're looking at the turn you're still in, you won't be very fast :)
I normally run with NASA (track and auto-x) but this was TrackDaze (formerly an R32 club off VWVortex)

You know I'll be at Patriot in Feb. The first time I ran there it was snowing, not a time you want to spin/go off (had some damage that day from folks being stupid) but you'll be solo like auto-x which makes it safer.

Supra Hero, yeah I passed the C5 but let him by later on the straight (he finally learned what that car could do) An R32 is a special edition GTI w/ 3.2 liter 15 deg. V6 (similar to an I-6) and AWD. You'd love track driving with that kind of power.

Supra Guru, I won't be doing the full track in Feb. but hope to in March/April w/ NASA, let me know if you'll be there. I'll be there in Feb. for the Patriot event and so will RCSupra. It's time attack style laps (cold start, one car like auto-x but no cones) They're having an instructed session in the AM and timed laps in the PM on Sunday. Might be at Summit for Hyperfest in June.
www.nasaracing.net

supraguru05

SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
well if i show up in feb ill still try to find ya ill be on the big boy track. me showing up kinda depends on how eager i am to get the car out. ill need to dewinterize it and check it out before i tow it hundreds of miles just to break :)

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
I'm avoiding the Feb. one in case it snows again but come late March there's less chance (although this is VA and it's happened in April) Hopefully you'll make it out there, always trying to get more Supra guys on track :)

supraguru05

SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
been autocrossing for 4 years road racing for 1 ive been on track i just avoid the dirty south pronounced (sauwfffffff) :biglaugh:

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
Sounds like a couple of us will be there in Feb. It'll be cold, hopefully I'll have a new clutch to see if that's why I'm not catching people on the straight :)

rcsupra

Supraddict
Sep 19, 2007
Harrisonburg, VA
Great looking pics Brian, the MK3 looks far more menacing on track than the 944!

I've been meaning to ask you, how has the MK3 kept up with track abuse, tires, rotors, pads, etc? When I realized just how much track time you get at the Patriot course I opted not to waste my tires etc, as I really can't afford it! But maybe you can shed some light on that topic.

I'll still be at VIR in Feb. with some people, at least to spectate and shoot some video!

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
One thing about Patriot is it's billed as a "high speed autocross" so you're not doing hot laps (run a single lap and then pit in) which means the tires aren't getting hot (at least not in Feb.) If you've never driven a track, I'd hope you would tend to not drive beyond your ability which means you won't be tearing on the tires sliding everywhere like an autocross (remember there are hills, off camber sections and things to hit if you get in too bad a shape) It'll be alot of fun if you decide to run, I've done a few big track events now but Patriot still makes me hold back, especially the off camber brake zone at the end of the back straight, a fun track though!

green

Dec 17, 2007
Toronto
that track looks like fun and as for the spin it did look like it came out of the blue how did you spin? still waiting for the day that i can take mine to my local track and by local i mean 2 hours away boo...but still am a noob at road racing and all so i take it easy ,first time i went was in my accord. nothing yet under the belt of the supra car

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
I've been riding along with a friend in an Accord that lost brakes at the end of the straight and caught ~1 ft. of air on one side recovering from an off (all in one session) If I had closed my eyes I never would have believed it was a econo sedan.

Rc, I didn't answer all of your question. The mk3 is heavy so it's gonna wear stuff more than a light car. Plus, they're all old and most have a lot of miles at this point so expect some things to need replacement. I've replaced several ball joints (upper ones were taken off a 90k mile car, lowers were new) and broken a rear #1 control arm (supposedly due to the bushings which are now back to stock in those arms)

As for brakes, it depends on what you're using and looking for. I run Porterfield (R4S) for street/auto-x and small tracks like Patriot. They wear quick on big courses (hot laps) though since they're not a true 'track pad'. For track I'm now using Raybestos race pads. Not something you want to run on the street, need to be swapped at the event but they're what I'd imagine a good BBK will do plus some. I'll let ya know when they're worn as to how long they lasted.

Otherwise everything's held up well, especially for an engine we 'patched up' 7 years ago to get me back/forth to school for a couple years :)
Ah , Toyota reliability.