TPS voltage???

BigTSetter

Apr 6, 2005
Denver
So, i'm reading 100% throttle. My buddy thinks it's my wiring, i think it's something that needs to be changed in the AEM.

Also, something more for his case is that my 3Bar GM Map sensor is also reading funny. Since the two are related as far as wiring goes, i'm kinda stumped to what it could be.

If you guys know the TPS voltage of the 1JZ, that would be a huge help.

Thanks,

Bryan

rtboy02

Jun 14, 2005
highland, utah
I don't see how wiring can cause a signal to change by itself. It stands to reason that there is something wrong with the TPS. Wiring either works or it doesn't; it can't change the signal sent from the TPS unless there are other electronics in the mix or there is interference.

BigTSetter

Apr 6, 2005
Denver
What if there is a wire that is crossed somewhere down the line and that it's just interfering with the signal? Say that the wire was not properly sheilded and it's picking up some voltage or even a ground from another wire?

Is that realy possible, highly unlikely, but COULD that be a reason?

rtboy02

Jun 14, 2005
highland, utah
I don't see why the TPS wire would be shielded. But interference would be sporadic and change according to RPM and other factors (since the interference would likely come from the ignition). Since yours appears to be steady at or near 100%, its highly unlikely it is due to interference.

Keep in mind, I am no electrical engineer, but I do my own wiring.

BigTSetter

Apr 6, 2005
Denver
well, it was a ground. I've got the TPS to read PERFECT now.

However, i still can't get the car to idle on it's own. It'll start and rev to about 2500, then it will stop. So, something is still mesed up.

BigTSetter

Apr 6, 2005
Denver
it COULD be vacuum leaks but i JUST pulled the wiring harness a few weeks ago to replace it with a new Correctly done harness, and i'm pretty sure that i got all the vacuum hoses connected.

Wait a sec, refresh my memory. The car will still run with the throttle plate closed right?? I mean that's the reason for the bov correct? Or does the car need the throttle just a little open to idle right. If that's the case, then i need to adjust the idle screw. If there is one on the 1jz.

rtboy02

Jun 14, 2005
highland, utah
It depends on the adjustment of the throttle cable. You may need to adjust the cable a bit now that you have the TPS working properly. It may have become loose or too tight when you were playing with the TPS or over time or something. Just a guess.

I know when I first fired up my 1JZ, I had to play with the throttle cable for a bit to get it to idle properly.

And I would be scared if your car was pulling in air through the BOV at idle. That would be unfiltered air, for one thing, and I don't think aftermarket BOV's are meant to be intakes. The plunger/spring inside the BOV would be screwed up if you were sucking air.

BigTSetter

Apr 6, 2005
Denver
I'll mess around with the idle screw and stuff soon. I'm actually concerned more about this odd noise that i'm getting from my PS pump. It sounds like it's starving for fluid and makes an obnoxious sound.

Thanks again for the help. I really do appreciate all the comments. I just don't want to forget the obvious you know... :)

Bryan

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
my power steering pump needed to be bleed,turning it from lock to lock and adding fluid took care of it.there is idle screws on the throttle body,they have like an 8mm nut and allen set screw.just make sure you adjust the right one,as mine has three of them

BigTSetter

Apr 6, 2005
Denver
I've tried the lock to lock of the steering. And there is PLENTY of fluid in the lines. I don't know b/c of the hose that it's not getting enough pressure or what the deal is. I would rather get the car running and accidently burn up a PS pump then get the PS working and the car still not running.

Thanks again for the inputs. I'll be working on her Monday Tues and Wed. I'm sure i'll be able to find out more.

Bryan