Tps difference? Wtf

ok, i have my daily 87 supra with a 7M-GE, that has been converted to manual, but is still running the auto ECU.

Well the TPS was broken for a while and i decided to fix it by replacing it with another on from a junkyard. SO i came across a 88 that had a clean Throttle-Body with TPS. I bought it and was just going to replace the TPS sensor and i noticed they were different. I compared the 2 sensors and TB's. One TPS and TB had a horizontal sensor and one had a vertical sensor. SO i replaced the whole throttle body knowing the other sensor wouldn't work. It plugged in and worked fine. Revved faster, etc. But now it idles at 1400 rpm instead of my 900 to 1000. I know it is normally supposed to be around 700, but i have 4 degree's of advanced timing, which made it idle up some. Do i have to Re-time My engine or something? The idle reason doesn't really bother me, but when I'm normally driving(with the new TPS) and go to shift, push in the clutch, it holds the throttle for a second, then drops down. I want to fix that! :aigo: ALSO, i know you're not supposed to adjust the idle screw, thats what the TPS is for. Where should the screw Be(how many turns out from being screwed all the way in), maybe if the new TB was tampered with before :]

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
The idle air bypass screw should be fully seated.

It sounds like either the replacement TPS isn't set up right or damaged. Confirm by checking codes. You should have check it and adjusted everything on the TB before installation. Now you'll have to do it on the car. Assuming you get it set follow up with a check of ignition timing.

For the price of that TB and the hassle involved it would have been better to buy a new TPS. In fact that's what you should have done because this is one sensor that shouldn't be bought used...

Thanks for the help. I set the TPS before installation. I do not have any codes. I would love to dump some money into a new TPS, but for 10$ for a throttle body off a supra with less mileage and a tps sensor that doesn't fall into pieces when i take it off, i think it was well worth it. :D Literally the old tps moved freely with no spring action. It was KRAZY... OH and the idle screw has been adjusted on this new throttlebody. I'm about to go screw it in ;]

Ok, the screw was almost all the way out. Screwed it all the way in and it idles ,and rev's, like a BEAUTY! :D

The throttle is a little more responsive, so it may be my footwork that has not adapted yet(causing the throttle to stick a little. i noticed the linkage had a little slack in it, so i'll check that out next ;] ), but launch is good and so are the down shifts.