TorSen LSD downside? How about Kaaz?

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Well I'm trying to figure out the route to go for my diff (mine is shot) and I come across the JZA70 TorSen. Now I know all the high HP and track guys say they suck, but what about for just Some occasional spirited driving and possibly future autoX? Will the diff not hold up to that even? I just like the fact that it provides power to both wheels at different rates when turning, seems like an improvement in theory at least.

Also in my search I ran across Kaaz 1.5 and 2 way LSDs. What are these and are they also a valid option?

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
What is a 1.5 for starters? Is it a TorSen diff? In my research I've learned what the difference between a LSD and a TorSen, but I have no idea past that. So any info is useful to me and appreciated.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
try lifting a wheel with one and then tell me how 'great' they are.. lol

I prefer stock clutch type diff with the Weir Performance upgrades.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Dylan JZ;2011630 said:

Lol Well for those of us that don't go off roading...

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Yeah, really. Its pretty much a made up problem except if you are setup with a really stiff AR setup that actually picks the inside wheel off the ground, or off-roading.

1-2clutch-u

Feb 18, 2006
chi town and ohio
1.5 way means that its locked or locked to how ever much you set the clutch packs to while on the gas under brakeing its only 50% locked or 1/2 the resistance of what you have it to. I love my kaaz 1.5 I road race and drive it on the street also no issues. Lil clunking but really nothing major. The fluid is a bit much but gotta pay to play. What more you would you like to know? ask anything.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Dylan JZ;2011630 said:

Used to run into this issue on one of the mountain runs I did from time to time, Some TrueTracs run a small preload pack to overcome this for offroad use.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Poodles;2012273 said:
Want to know how to fix that little issue? Apply the brakes lightly ;)

McLaren F1 ran a Torsen, just sayin'
Yep you learn all about Trail Braking with one, if I get any of my AWD cars tuck I just pull on a couple of clicks of hand brake and they climb their way out.

1-2clutch-u

Feb 18, 2006
chi town and ohio
And now McLaren runs an open diff. Point is that with out electronics to back it up aint shit. but I Tried the weir upgrades and they just wore out after about 8 track days. And even when it was new it felt weak. I was able to make 2 lines when doing a burn out but road racing I felt the inside tire unload all the time.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Weird.. quite a few folks now running the various Weir upgrades with no issues.

Hopefully you were not using the crush washer at that point? :shrug:

1-2clutch-u

Feb 18, 2006
chi town and ohio
i had the crush sleeve n all but Im sure the W kit is fine for what most people do esp for drag. (I have a welded 430 back when I thought it was the right thing to do) But I know the kaaz locks every time and you can adjust it too. Im still dieing mine in to fit my driving style and how I want to drive to save tires but still be fast. It unlocks smoothly and if you wanted to drift it does that too.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
The Kaaz is great no doubt at all about it, but in order to make the Weir upgrades effective one has to utilize the solid spacer and shims they sell, otherwise it's essentially back to square one when it gets beat on.