Top Gear Episode Idea... Best EVER Japanese GT Cars from pre-2000

terrenceLP

Mar 22, 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
I was thinking of Jeremy when I was thinking of a good show idea... many car crazy people would love to see a shoot out between the 1989 RX7, 1990 MKIII Supra, Nissan Skyline GTR early 90's. etc...

"Has the Robotic Like Country Ever Produced a GT car with Soul!"

Just copy and paste to a email and we can flood them until they make the show!

mail blitz - top.gear@bbc.co.uk

for the USA show hit up R.wood on facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rutledge-Wood/44547373125

Last edited:

mk1spyder

Banned
Sep 11, 2005
Western NC
I think Motoring already did that. Youtube it. If I remember correctly it was an all white FC Turbo II, 91 Z32 TT, R32 (I think), Galant VR4, and a MK3 Turbo R (1JZ I believe).

I think the skyline won but the supra wasn't far behind. It beat the Z32 and the FC. The galant was in last by far. The FC was better through the corners but the Z32 and the Supra punked it pretty bad on the straight lines. Both the Z32 and the Supra had to power slide every corner to try to catch the AWD Skyline. The skyline was a better track car than the Supra in the MK3 days (I doubt the MK4 gave up as much in the corners), but the supra has always been more powerful in a straight line pull.

laotionracer101

Jan 8, 2010
Arkansas
I support the idea. BUT It seems the cars of that era would be acquired and then totally trashed for shits and giggles. Something I'm a bit hesitant to watch. The race on best motoring mk1 spyder is talking a was very fun to watch, It showed the mk3 was second only to gtr, hence my avatar pic. Haha.

mk1spyder

Banned
Sep 11, 2005
Western NC
The GTR was and always has been a more track oriented vehicle, whereas the Supra was more of a lux gran tourisimo vehicle like an AMG benz. Balls deep power and aerodynamics to match. The RB26 can't touch the JZ as far as supporting power on stock components but it is a more responsive track engine.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
mk1spyder;1758111 said:
The RB26 can't touch the JZ as far as supporting power on stock components but it is a more responsive track engine.

May have something to do with the fact that pushing power to 4 wheels puts more load on the engine... Always wanted an R32 here. :)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Turbo-A was the fastest production car in Japan....for all of 6 months when then R32 came out. The JZA70 had the same power as the R32.

mk1spyder

Banned
Sep 11, 2005
Western NC
I've never witnessed any 1000whp RB26 on the stock bottom end, it sure isn't common if it has ever happened. But that is old news with the 2JZ, i've torn them both down and the JZ is just a stronger engine period.

Being AWD has nothing to do with it, it just means their numbers will be lower at the wheels. You could just put the engine in a GTS skyline if you think awd is the problem haha. But Supra will always be king of the interstate.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
mk1spyder;1758182 said:
I've never witnessed any 1000whp RB26 on the stock bottom end, it sure isn't common if it has ever happened. But that is old news with the 2JZ, i've torn them both down and the JZ is just a stronger engine period.

Being AWD has nothing to do with it, it just means their numbers will be lower at the wheels. You could just put the engine in a GTS skyline if you think awd is the problem haha. But Supra will always be king of the interstate.

Smaller motor. Compare the 1JZ with the RB and it's a closer match.

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
te72;1758130 said:
May have something to do with the fact that pushing power to 4 wheels puts more load on the engine... Always wanted an R32 here. :)

Dont bother your self with a R32, There are plenty of them where i come from, my friend had one of them way back i took it for a drive and it just didnt feel that exciting, its shit on the inside and outside, and the Rb is a lame engine. the fastest R32 in the area has a 2JZ in it, the rest that have RBs are just for show.

mk1spyder

Banned
Sep 11, 2005
Western NC
Nissan is crap quality compared to Toyota, go get in a 240sx and feel how light and barely put together everything is. As far as the RB26 being a smaller engine, that is Nissan's dumbass fault. The R34 is a monster of a vehicle, large, heavy, AWD, why put a 2.6L in there? Track use thats why, sustained high RPM's and ITB's, they are designed for track days, thats about it. But as far as strength goes they don't touch a 2JZ/V161 combo.

Everyone wanted a skyline before the R35 hit our shores, why, because you couldn't get it here. Well now you can go right down to your local Nissan dealer and buy one and guess what, I don't hear anyone talking about them anymore. Now it's just when will Toyota bring the supra back.....

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
mk1spyder;1758225 said:
Nissan is crap quality compared to Toyota, go get in a 240sx and feel how light and barely put together everything is. As far as the RB26 being a smaller engine, that is Nissan's dumbass fault. The R34 is a monster of a vehicle, large, heavy, AWD, why put a 2.6L in there? Track use thats why, sustained high RPM's and ITB's, they are designed for track days, thats about it. But as far as strength goes they don't touch a 2JZ/V161 combo.

Everyone wanted a skyline before the R35 hit our shores, why, because you couldn't get it here. Well now you can go right down to your local Nissan dealer and buy one and guess what, I don't hear anyone talking about them anymore. Now it's just when will Toyota bring the supra back.....

I owned a 240sx, and couldn't agree more. Granted, Nissan's cars always focused on sport before luxury, the Mk3 was probably my favorite mix of sport AND luxury, it was just done so well. Granted, I've always had a soft spot for the R32. I don't need 12 million horsepowers, I really don't. Just always wanted to know what all the hype was about this "Godzilla" and get some seat time in one. :)

As for nobody wanting the R35, there's probably a reason for that... I know it's disgustingly potent, but its ALL because of the car. I'd be willing to bet, give me a week or two behind the wheel of one, and I'd be posting lap times within a couple seconds of MUCH more experienced (and talented) drivers. The car really does that much for the driver, it makes me sick, being a lover of the man-machine connection...

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
mk1spyder;1758225 said:

Its because they are new, wait til they get 7-10 yrs old

TRDownShift

Sep 19, 2010
Austin, Texas, United States
OR... It could be because if you go WOT from a dig in an R35 your warranty is void... well... that and doing ANYTHING other then parking it and washing it once a month every 2nd Sunday (and it still may void it if you use the wrong wax) can and WILL void your warranty... lol

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
TRDownShift;1758652 said:
OR... It could be because if you go WOT from a dig in an R35 your warranty is void... well... that and doing ANYTHING other then parking it and washing it once a month every 2nd Sunday (and it still may void it if you use the wrong wax) can and WILL void your warranty... lol

True, but warranties are for people without tools. If you had that kind of money, you probably aren't worried too terribly much about things breaking anyway, right? ;)

Recently read something about a tab of some sort on the last Skyline platform, it had a little yellow tab that could be removed, was a factory restriction limiting the car to the ~276hp limit they had back in the day... and of course now I can't seem to find that on the wiki. :nono: