tools for rebuilding 7ms

shimafan02

Sep 4, 2010
Kentucky
Was wanting to start on my rebuild in the near future and was wondering what tools would be needed to make things easier plus I'm sure others have wondered.the same I have most basic hand tools such as wrenches ratchets sockets both standard and metric 1/2" torque wrench swivels and snap ring pliars.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Engine hoist
Engine stand
Crank pulley puller
Torque wrench(AGood Brand)
Cleaning solvent
Picks(helps to get old seals out)
Sockets
Wrenches(preferably gear wrenches)
Scraper to remove old gaskets
24MM Wrench To Remove The Oil Pump Hardline

That all I can come up with at the moment.

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
A magnet for when you drop a few of them bolts in hard to reach places.
A good engine cleaner. Lets face it you are going to want to clean it up a bit.
And just to keep things calm instead of going with what Avicii said you can do what I do. Just put it in a pitcher and stand there and look at it til you think you are ready to move on and laugh at something that would normally frustrate you.
A Good flashlight will also come in handy if you are having this adventure outdoors instead of enjoying a garage.
And one other thing (put the cell phone on vibrate or silence it.)
A bag of ice, A half gallon of Crown Royal Black, a case of Coke, and dont forget the pitcher. (Wait this was for my engine build but I am just giving you some things from my list.)

shimafan02

Sep 4, 2010
Kentucky
Hahaha thanks guys yes alcohol would Def be involved drink of choice probably red stag an coke haha but I know engines hoist an stand I have ratcheting wrenches and picks but was lookin more towards specialty tools like the crank pulley pulley and harmonic balancer pulley

barkz

Sep 14, 2010
Afghanistan
most "special" tools you may need can be loaned from autozone. put a deposit, use tool, bring back tool, get all money back. up to a year.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
alcohol is for AFTER you're done with said job or done for the day. Don't drink and rebuild an engine, it's one of those things that requires precision and let's face it... alcohol kind of slurs things together...

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Zip lock baggies and a sharpie are always a good idea for remember what goes where. If all else fails, you can use this too:

http://www.turboninjas.com/mk3supra/others/Mk3 Engine Fasteners.pdf

You need a big socket to get the union off at the back of the head as well (pretty sure I used a 1 1/4"). You might want to pick up a 3/8" torque wrench for some of the finer/lower torque bolts/nuts. Cam caps come to mind for sure.

If most of the fastner hardware is stock on your car, then this is useful, otherwise follow the instructions in each section for torque specs.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=B&P=2

If you do use that torque worksheet though, remember...the diameter is the actual bolt, not the size of the head! (ask me how I broke a bolt in my cam...:nono:)

If you want to take the head off with cams in, you need a thin walled or 3/8" socket for whatever hardware you've got holding it on (ARP studs/bolts or stock bolts). I know the ARP is a 12 sided 14mm. This will allow the socked to have JUST enough room to get between the cam and the casting when the cams are set with the matchmarks up (or TDC). Sometimes you have to wiggle the cam a little bit to get the socket to slide down, but it works!

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
shimafan02;1777553 said:
Hahaha thanks guys yes alcohol would Def be involved drink of choice probably red stag an coke haha but I know engines hoist an stand I have ratcheting wrenches and picks but was lookin more towards specialty tools like the crank pulley pulley and harmonic balancer pulley

crank pulley puller = harmonic balancer puller

Just fyi