Took supra to the shop need some advice

Kevin0393

Oct 29, 2011
PA
I brought my car to the shop a couple days ago because my car was stalling out and wouldnt start sometimes and the guy told me he couldnt diagnose it because it was too old to hook it up to his computer. What do you guys think is this legit? Anything is helpful thank you

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
sounds about right. most techs can't diagnose anything without a scanner, and your car is obd1. search the site for info or head to a toyota dealer for help.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
The guy from the shop sounds like a giant fucking retard. Take your car somewhere else who can properly diagnose what's going wrong with it.

You'll run into people who don't know the difference between a left and right handed wrench the more you take your car out and talk to people.

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
Is it throwing any codes? Check for codes...most stuff you can figure out and fix yourself. Being informed going into a garage is your best bet.

Kevin0393

Oct 29, 2011
PA
Well when it doesnt want to start it throws me a code 12. But thats if its not starting It only doesnt when it wants too

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Kevin0393;1840513 said:
he couldnt diagnose it because it was too old to hook it up to his computer. What do you guys think is this legit? Anything is helpful thank you

Techs in this day and age use the scanner for everything. It guides you in the right direction. I saw one guy who couldn't do anything on a VW because it was carb and one of the old school guys had to come help him get it started.

When it stalls, it could be the AFM, the ISCV or a vacuum leak since that can cause different issues.

When it stalls, is it when you are coming to a stop?

A code 12 points to the CPS. Next time it doesn't want to start, go giggle the CPS connector and see what happens.

Here is a code page for you...

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/TechTips/engine_error_codes.aspx

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Kevin0393;1840546 said:
One night i stopped at a stop sign nd it shut off. Luckily it started right back up that time

Kevin0393;1840544 said:
Yup its the rpm signal but it comes and goes i dont understand why.

Supra0089;1840541 said:

You won't know until you start trying to figure it out. This is from the first link he gave:

Code 6/12

Problem Area: RPM signal
Description: ECU has no “NE” or “G” signal within 2 seconds of cranking

Areas to investigate:

1. Alarm/immobiliser
2. CPS/distributor (or circuits)
3. signal circuit

Most likely it's the wiring for the CPS being really brittle, search this forum and you'll find its a common problem. Solution? Buy a used one that doesn't have crap wiring, and try not to break the wires on the harness.

edit: Here's a tidbit also...when the car doesn't start, does the tach jump at all? During regular cranking when there IS spark the tach will jump. When there isn't any spark (aka, not a good signal from the CPS to the ECU in this situation) the tach won't jump at all.

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
If the alarm is going off...it prevents the car from running. It's essentially a kill switch.

I had a code 12/24/52 before. I replaced the CPS...didn't get any better...(you can have my old one if you want as long as you cover shipping)...and it turned out to be a short in in the series at the water temp sensor. These cars are old...so electrical stuff is getting brittle. You'll have to inspect some stuff first to see if it's cracked or corroded...and then start replacing some of the inexpensive pieces related to the code. Or bring it to someone who knows how to work on these and pay them $60-120/hour to figure it out....

...I am by far from any mechanical expert....I'm just speaking from 15 years of owning these things... :)

Someone else could articulate this a little better...but it's the basic idea of troubleshooting....and process of elimination.

Kevin0393

Oct 29, 2011
PA
I also have a problem with the temp gauge going down to cold when i floor the gas and then comes back up to the middle

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Supra0089 if you want to give away a grey plug CPS I need one lol.. :)

To the original poster more then likely the wiring to you CPS is the culprit.