TooGoode's 2J build

TooGoode

rediculous DD
Mar 1, 2007
Chandler, Arizona
ok so here is the backround on my supra. its an 89t targa blah blah blah. Ive gone through two motors within the year with her so i think for now im going to be putting the 7m on the backburner. As some may have known, I had bought a brand new block and head assembly from toyota, (wasn't cheap and not easy to find). for some dumb reason, i jewed out and bought a remanned oil pump. Bad idea. car was running great after i assembled the motor, had good oil pressure and all. one day, i heard a pop and shortly after a heard knocking. ripped the motor out and apart only to find that my oil pump grenaded! there was no other fragments of metal that could have hit it to bust it only the other half of the oil pump in the pan. here is a pic of the carnage:
p1394717_1.jpg

So the new motor only lasted about 500 miles. Ouch! my buddy jake at the time was going 1jz so i picked up his old 7m with 80k on it for 100 bones. dropped the pan, checked the clearances in the oil pump and shimmed it. after the first second it turned over, i hear a faint knock. damn rk again! i decided the motor was a pos so i just drove on it carefully for the next 5 months. well the knock has gotten pretty bad now so its time again for another motor. I know that the 7m can be reliable and can make good power, but for now, im just going to stick with the 2jge-t.

i was at around 380 with my old setup, but of course that was not enough! haha i plan on making at least 600hp with this build. I will be going na-t with the 7m electronics and running aem ems later on...

Here is a list breakdown of what i will be running.

Induction:
Driftmotion dm67 turbo kit
greddy ffim
Ebay intercooler kit

Fuel:
RC 720cc injectors
Driftmotion afpr and fuel line kit
Duel warlbros

Exhaust:
4" stainless steel custom with megan tip straight through v-band

Hardware:
Hacked lower 7m radiator hose
Driftmotion power steering ss hose
1jz bellhousing
1jz lightweight flywheel
Arp studs, flywheel bolts

Internals:
Stock yo

Electronics:
Will be using the 7m harness (Tucked)
Modified 7m CPS
Modified 2J tps
Aem Ems
AEM wideband
HKS boost controller
Bee*R Rev limiter
Blitz power meter ID

In total, i will be at around 5K with me doing all my own labor.
It will be tuned over at Forced Air Tech

The next Couple of weeks I will be posting more and more progress pics as i tear down the 7m and get the 2j in my hands. For now here are some pics of her...
p1394717_2.jpg

p1394717_3.jpg

rodknock anyone?
p1394717_4.jpg

p1394717_5.jpg

p1394717_6.jpg

Will be posting pics of the progress as i go

TooGoode

rediculous DD
Mar 1, 2007
Chandler, Arizona
Well i would post pics of the 2j when i got it, but i couldn't find my camera. we all know what a post stock 2j looks like anyway right? here are a couple of pics of it now mocked up after a little paint. the toyota symbol is not attached just sitting there. wanted to see how it would look over the lexus one:
p1394728_1.jpg

peek da fuel rail yo: haha
p1394728_2.jpg

and since its so popular to do this now:
p1394728_3.jpg

more will be going up in the next few days as i rip out my old 7m and start to tuck my engine bay/paint it

TooGoode

rediculous DD
Mar 1, 2007
Chandler, Arizona
mr taco;1394783 said:
very nice, i'll be watching this build for sure.

and i the same with yours! tomorrow i am going to mate my harness to the motor and get it all lengthened/shortened where needed. will post some pics of the progress tomorrow.

TooGoode

rediculous DD
Mar 1, 2007
Chandler, Arizona
well found my charger for the camera so here are some small progress pics from today!
started to mildy tear down the motor so that i could route my harness to see what i had to shorten and extend.
p1396202_1.jpg

My new oil sandwich plate. need this baby to cool/feed my turbo!
p1396202_2.jpg

started to modify my cps. (don't worry, will be cleaned up!)
p1396202_3.jpg

My first sensor transfer! woo hoo! only a few more to go!
p1396202_4.jpg

My current harness. i labeled everything so i woudn't forget once i started to cut wires and go nuts
p1396202_5.jpg

And how im going to keep my harness clean! lots of heat shrink!!
p1396202_6.jpg

so thats todays progress. tomorrow i hope to get the harness on the motor with all the correct wires lenthened and shortened where needed.

TooGoode

rediculous DD
Mar 1, 2007
Chandler, Arizona
So yes, more progress today! Just got my wiring harness done. wow what a pain in the ass!! tore it all the way down, past the loop, fixed any bad connectors, lenthened and shortened all necessary connectors. needless to say, alot of cuttin and soldering! This is a pic of it from a couple hours ago...

p1397667_1.jpg

here is a pic of the stock harness:
p1397667_2.jpg

and after a few hours it turned into a 2j harness!
p1397667_3.jpg

Also just got in my all new o-rings for all the injectors in.

The old crusty ones:
p1397667_4.jpg

Injectors installed:
p1397667_5.jpg

tomorrow i will be finishing up with the tps, getting it cleaned and clocked.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Wow, very nice! I'm doing the same swap soon, I was considering doing the intake manifolds in black but wasn't sure how it would look, but after seeing yours I think I will, It looks great with the valve covers! Good luck!

TooGoode

rediculous DD
Mar 1, 2007
Chandler, Arizona
Ok so i installed the harness to see how it would mock up. i do have to say that it doesn't look to shabby!! you can hardly tell there is a harness there. I do still have to hook up the iac and tps but those will be later once i get a new throttle body.

p1397895_1.jpg

p1397895_2.jpg

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
That's a mighty fine looking wire harness job you've got there, looks super clean. I hope I can make mine look as good!

TooGoode

rediculous DD
Mar 1, 2007
Chandler, Arizona
toyotanos;1398072 said:
That's a mighty fine looking wire harness job you've got there, looks super clean. I hope I can make mine look as good!

thanks! it only took me about 5 hours to do everything so its not that bad, just really time consuming! haha the only thing i can tell you is don't rush, and have patience. get a wiring diagram in front of you and triple check everything! you dont want to have to pull the harness in and out to find electrical problems!

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
Good work.

You'll find after working on the 2JZ that you'll never want to work on a 7M again. At least, that's how it went for me.. and I never had a 7M give me any trouble. 2JZ's are just newer, generally in better condition, and much easier to work on.

TooGoode

rediculous DD
Mar 1, 2007
Chandler, Arizona
hottscennessey;1398150 said:
Good work.

You'll find after working on the 2JZ that you'll never want to work on a 7M again. At least, that's how it went for me.. and I never had a 7M give me any trouble. 2JZ's are just newer, generally in better condition, and much easier to work on.

very true! i love the fact that they use metal gaskets and like you said, are generally cleaner to start off with!

TooGoode

rediculous DD
Mar 1, 2007
Chandler, Arizona
Well If anyone in their right mind wants to call it progress, me and a few members got the motor pulled today. here is a pic of the engine bay that i have to work with, oh god i have some work to do:

p1402035_1.jpg

During the process, a mistake was made and my once beautiful supra paid for it:
p1402035_2.jpg

p1402035_3.jpg

I haven't been quite so mad before, but it was agreed that there would be a new bumper put on in place of the old one with new paint so its all good.

NokaoiMK3

Drifter..
Jul 27, 2008
Gilbert Arizona
Damm the cherry picker is known to mess up bumpers... Thats why I want to sell that one and get a better one.. And you need to clean up that engine bay.. Are you planin on leaving it red or painting it flat black like the rest of us?