Too much compression for boost?????

Luigi

Luigi
Dec 5, 2006
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
My MK3 Turbo has been running like crap at boost over 10 psi and has been fouling plugs and sputters. Now for some History on the car:

Upgrades
I have the Lexus upgrade with 550cc Lucas injectors, AFM, Walbo fuel pump, rebuilt head, ARP studs, HKS 1.2mm MHG, upgraded JT57 Turbo, hardpipes, Spearco intercooler, 3" downpipe with a high flow CAT and an RSR 3" CAT Back exhaust, SAFC2, wideband, new wiring harness, etc.

Latest discovery
Since I have been fouling the plugs trying to figure this out; last night I decided to pull off the valve covers and check the compression and to re-tork the head. When I got the first valve cover off I discovered a small amount of radiator fluid in the #6 spark plug hole and a small amount of fluid near it? Now I am thinking BHG right, but I have none of the symptoms, no over heating, runs great until over 10psi of boost, etc?

So my next step was to do a pressure test on each cylinder. To my suprise, most of the compression testing came back with very high numbers. The highest cylinder was 179 psi and the lowest was 158 but the largest difference between any cylinders was around 13 psi. Can you have too much cylinder pressure in the 7MGTE????????

The rebuilt head was a head off a non-turbo supra and the engine shop used my cams. Could this be the huge pressure increase? I used a 1.2mm HKS MHG and ARP studs when I put her back together. The machinist I used said it would be fine but I want a few more opinions. This was all done on a 7MGTE engine with no prior blown head gasket and around 55K miles.

Troubleshooting so Far
CPS, Ignitor, Coil Pack, Plugs, Timing of course, AFM electronics module, boost controller, checked all the hard pipes and couplers for pressure leaks, replaced all air hoses, no air leaks any where.

Please help? :aigo:

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
179 - 158 = 13 huh...

There is a hose that goes to the heater core that could possibly be pissing coolant around #6.

Luigi

Luigi
Dec 5, 2006
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Here are the specific measurements for each cylinder:

1 - 158 psi
2 - 168 psi
3 - 158 psi
4 - 172 psi
5 - 178 psi
6 - 179 psi

The 179 to 158 was the high to low range.

mkIIIman089 said:
179 - 158 = 13 huh...

There is a hose that goes to the heater core that could possibly be pissing coolant around #6.

Luigi

Luigi
Dec 5, 2006
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
The block was not touched as it was a new used Japan import engine. The head was redone but I do not know how much exactly was taken off. The machinist told me that the 1.2mm was fine.:1zhelp:

TurboWarrior said:
1.2mm HG? How much material was taken off the head and block?

Silvermk2

MkII Weenie
Apr 4, 2005
Stockton, CA
I get 175 psi down the line on my 7MGTE. IMO if the engine runs good and the compression is up there you're probably OK. BTW your top heater hose is probably leaking if you have coolant there.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
It could be lifting when hot or under boost, as I said earlier grab the test kit from Napa and see if there's combustion gasses in the coolant that will tell you one way or the other.

Luigi

Luigi
Dec 5, 2006
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Thanks, I will try the Napa test kit. Man, I hope you are wrong.

IJ. said:
It could be lifting when hot or under boost, as I said earlier grab the test kit from Napa and see if there's combustion gasses in the coolant that will tell you one way or the other.