Tomei Cam instal on early 2jzgte

SimpleMKIII

Oct 17, 2008
Riverside, Ca
Hey Supramania, need some help on installing the 264 Tomei pon cams for the aristo 2jzgte. I just installed valve stem seals and want to get better cams since the
valve covers and cams are off. Do i need to reshim my buckets? If so is there a how to, im unsure of the clearences on the pon cams. Also, how much can i boost to test my work on the install and before a re tune, 10 pounds on pump?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
heh by your questions i can see why some people are hesitant to answer.. theres no such thing as testing it to see if it works with a machine shop specific job. its done once and its done right.

first...
a machine shop will probably install the cams for 100 bucks thats the best route you should take...

second..
when installing cams you need to measure the clearances with a feeler gauge.. these are a shim bucket design as you see so yes you will need to install shims for how much they are off from said clearance(this is accounting for not only spring wear but other issues as well.. and this process obviously varies from engine to engine) and is done anyway when installing new springs...... if any of this is foreign please go to the first suggestion it'll save you so much time and money and guess work and if they fuck it up they get to replace it if you fuck it up you get to :)

in my experience 99% of mechanics will send it to a machine shop because most likely the engine will also benefit from a cleaning a resurface and a valve job and will also magnaflux (check for cracks) and they wont have to buy any of the (very expensive) tools required to do the jobs.

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
^^^What ha said ^^^^
A machine shop will also be responsible for properly breaking in the new cams. If you did the cams yourself and didn't do this your cam lobes would be shot in short order.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Cam break in is mostly for cam in block designs. For over head cam heads it's not much of an issue.

SimpleMKIII

Oct 17, 2008
Riverside, Ca
I got the cams in today, took 3 weeks on ebay. Instructions are in Japanese but sez in English not to install the cams in the same order as OEM. Anybody ever install any? As for the shims, it wants 20mm intake 30mm exahust max. I think i can do the shim part needed, just need the torque procedure. Shows a picture of a boy with a broken cam and crying lol.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Just slowly tighten the cam caps keeping even pressure along the cam. If you tighten the caps too much or put too much pressure on it it will snap.

Use stock shims and valve lash specs.

SimpleMKIII

Oct 17, 2008
Riverside, Ca
Yeah, thats what I did. Tomei calls for .020 intake .030 ex. I had only one intake that took 0.15 but was real tight on .020. started it up. No smoke from my first valve steam seal r and r no valves dropped too.�� She was idleing at 1100 bc of my standalone, shes at 800 now. My buddy sez dont boost till you retune it. Just take it easy. I wanna test it though.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If afr are good then it will be fine. But the added lift and duration could make it lean.

Also you will need adjustable cam gears and need to degree them to get the max out of them.

SimpleMKIII

Oct 17, 2008
Riverside, Ca
I turned the boost down to 15. AFMs are 11.8, but she shuts off everytime I come to a stop. Power feels more at 15 than my normal 18 psi's. I let it idle gasing up today, got soot on some poor guys BMW behind me when I took off.