To port match myself, or let someone else have the PITA.

james_9876

Rehabilitation time...
Aug 1, 2007
Spartanburg, SC
Okay here is the deal.
Picking up motor tomarrow, and I screwed around and didn't do research. I've done this on my current car (the geo) and it seemed to work fine. But should I even try to port match the intake, or even open it up? Well...

I've already done the throttle body to the intake manifold, grinded down with a dremel tool and lotsa oil. Then took 1000 and then 2000 grit and got it smooth. Just got all the inner pitting out and opened it up to the gasket's inner diameter. Now I'm working on the runners from the intake manifold to the runners, the parts between the manifold and the head. Just wanting to make sure I'm doing this right, also wondering if it'll help with air flow and hp gains down the road.

Just wondering if using the gaskets will be a good templet for port matching them together. I will also be polishing them. ^.^

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
its important to get all 6 ports to flow the same. somewhere (might be this forum) i saw a writeup on port/polish tips.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
port matching is NOT the way to go. completely changes flow rates and velocities. it has potential to make things worse depending how you do it of course and what parts you do it to...you just don't go around port matching things in your car b/c you think more air there is better. Thats not true at all, there are way way way more factors. If you're gonna do it, do it right. Get a machine to do it and have the right angles and sizes for your application.

Junior

Jul 2, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I'd recommend flow matching forsure, that said, the major inconsistancies in flow will be in your intake manifold, not your head. So that's where you're gonna have to do the serious port work.

In the head I don't see a problem with port matching them.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
I dont see anything wrong with portmatching the Intake side. As long as you dont hog out the port so much that it loses velocity you should be fine.If your doing it you should also check to see how the Im flange matches with the gasket. I have read on here a few times tho not to port match the exhaust side due to losing some scavenging.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
RedEj8 said:
I dont see anything wrong with portmatching the Intake side. As long as you dont hog out the port so much that it loses velocity you should be fine..

Which brings me to the question... is velocity important on force inducted cars? I've honestly been wanting to know that. All comments welcome.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Velocity is important on any engine regardless if it is FI or NA. It might not be quite as important on a FI engine but its still important. You can port any head and usually get good results.It just really depends on the experience of the person doing the work.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
IwantMKIII said:
port matching is NOT the way to go. completely changes flow rates and velocities. it has potential to make things worse depending how you do it of course and what parts you do it to...you just don't go around port matching things in your car b/c you think more air there is better. Thats not true at all, there are way way way more factors. If you're gonna do it, do it right. Get a machine to do it and have the right angles and sizes for your application.

What in the hell are you talking about? Port matching the intake on the supra is just fine. Just don't port match your exhaust manifold to the exhaust ports on the head. You want at least a 1mm reversion dam there to keep your low end torque.

Junior

Jul 2, 2006
Ontario, Canada
IJ. said:
LMAO so you guys are building a 7M for F1? :runaway:

overworrying about trivial shit is a common mistake among people who are new at engine building. Personally I think it's 'cause they don't really have a full grasp of what's going on, and would rather err on the side of caution.

Junior

Jul 2, 2006
Ontario, Canada
realistically I was the same way when I built my first motor tho, lol.

"oh my god, this torque sequence, I better go in 5 ft/lbs intervals..." as tho the wrench is even accurate enough to be able to repeat that, LMAO. Or saran wrapping a motor for fear that dust will get down the ports.

allwell, time is the best teacher of all.