To 12v mod or not to 12v mod? Walbro pump please help.

chuckmuska2005

Dec 3, 2007
canton
I have installed a single walbro pump with a -6an bulk head fitting running -6an all the way from the tank to the rail. I am now unsure weather or not to do the 12v fuel pump mod. I know that the mod keeps the pump running off of the same voltage feed and on the other hand decreases pump life, so I'm really skeptical about it and want to know what you guys think of it. I'm leaning towards not doing the mod and keeping the wiring stock.

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
chuckmuska2005;1242784 said:
I have installed a single walbro pump with a -6an bulk head fitting running -6an all the way from the tank to the rail. I am now unsure weather or not to do the 12v fuel pump mod. I know that the mod keeps the pump running off of the same voltage feed and on the other hand decreases pump life, so I'm really skeptical about it and want to know what you guys think of it. I'm leaning towards not doing the mod and keeping the wiring stock.
some still keep the resistor and relay with there walboro.i did the 12v mod with my single walboro on my 2j car.i've since went twin walboro and re-wired it with two seperate relay's and the old power wire for a trigger.
i also have a 7m car with a walboro and the stock wiring in place.might do the 12v mod to clean up some of the cluter under the hood.i just tuck all the wire's in the fender after.

some people believe the 12v mod will heat up the fuel by returning to much back to the tank.the walboro like's the 12v though.

chuckmuska2005

Dec 3, 2007
canton
Ok, well aside from the fact that the walbro will run great on 12v, what would I be looking at running it without the 12v mod? I have a 1jz single with 550's.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
I've got a 7m-Ge turboed with a walboro+550's without the 12v mod. it goes rich in the high rpms when boosting somtimes, i got a few things done to it, but in the back of my head i keep thinking this 12mod.

i'll be following this.

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
My Walbro lasted a few hours & took a shit! on me while idling... I don't think the walbro liked the 12v-14v that it was getting..

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
Jostar;1243428 said:
My Walbro lasted a few hours & took a shit! on me while idling... I don't think the walbro liked the 12v-14v that it was getting..

it might not have been a real walbro... could have been a knock off

slowpra na-t

Permanently Banned
Oct 16, 2008
murrieta ca
i like the mod... i did it about a year ago, it keeps the A/F from jumping rich at about 3k rpms..

i also thought that i read some where that the walbro will last longer with the mod because it was built to run off of 12v.... not the 9v/12v like the stock pump is, i might be wrong.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
ForcedTorque;1243443 said:
One of the main benefits of the 12V Mod, is the fact that you are bypassing the 20 year old wiring in your car with it.

Really?? I thought it was to supply constant voltage wich makes for more stable tuning?

Does anyone know how the stock system works?

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
Yeah for tuning 12v constant is great. I run this way on a stock 7mge fuel pump. Makes 400whp at 15psi 12.0-12.1 afr all day long. Stock fuel lines too.

People go crazy with fuel I guess.

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
86_sports_1jz;1243437 said:
it might not have been a real walbro... could have been a knock off

I highly doubt that, I buy all my goodies from Aaron at Driftmotion...
I am very serious on the walbro been a few hours of use, That pump was
On for about 3 hours.... 30 minutes Here & there... Car was running & it just shut-off... I cranked & cranked but no start up... I pop the hood & see the Fuel pressure regulator at ZERO! I double check everything, I ask a few People here & double checked everything, But the Walbro died :cry:

chuckmuska2005

Dec 3, 2007
canton
slowpra na-t;1243438 said:
i like the mod... i did it about a year ago, it keeps the A/F from jumping rich at about 3k rpms..

i also thought that i read some where that the walbro will last longer with the mod because it was built to run off of 12v.... not the 9v/12v like the stock pump is, i might be wrong.

I thought I read the same thing somewhere as well. Which is better for the functionality of the car?

chuckmuska2005

Dec 3, 2007
canton
Couldn't I wire it to a switch iinstead of installing the relay? I don't know where to pull the relay from and don't know where to install the wires from the pump to the to the location on the realy. I found one thread that had a good walk through but don't know how to wire up the relay.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
If your ecu works correctly (switching to 12v) theres no reason to do the 12v mod unless you like the extra noise of the walbro @ 12v. Its been a long time since I've used a stock ecu, but I think its based on TPS.

chuckmuska2005

Dec 3, 2007
canton
tissimo;1245283 said:
If your ecu works correctly (switching to 12v) theres no reason to do the 12v mod unless you like the extra noise of the walbro @ 12v. Its been a long time since I've used a stock ecu, but I think its based on TPS.

I thought that one of the purposes of this mod is to make tuning easier? If there is no purpose of this mod then why is tuning easier on the 12v mod and more challenging on stock ecu and fuel pump wiring?

ryangaudoin

Dec 10, 2008
Toronto
Jostar;1243917 said:
I highly doubt that, I buy all my goodies from Aaron at Driftmotion...
I am very serious on the walbro been a few hours of use, That pump was
On for about 3 hours.... 30 minutes Here & there... Car was running & it just shut-off... I cranked & cranked but no start up... I pop the hood & see the Fuel pressure regulator at ZERO! I double check everything, I ask a few People here & double checked everything, But the Walbro died :cry:

so did it die cause you didn't do the 12v mod,

if so then doing the 12v is the best way to go, cause im planning on doing this myself but i wouldn't know how to do the 12v mod