Tinted or JDM Dark Cherry Taillights? Best way to remove tint?

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
My current brakelights are warped from leaving it too long in the oven, I took some of my parts car but they were tinted. I ordered new LEDs and all that but the turn signals aren't bright enough, I figure I just want to remove the tint because I don't like it anymore. I tried carp cleaner and sanding nothing made a difference. Maybe it was tinted from the inside? It's missing the yellow lens too. Should I leave it in gasoline for a day? Thoughts?

Here's the two taillights.IMAG0381[1].jpg

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
It's not tint like you would use on your windows. It's basically spray paint.
Only way I can see it coming off is more aggressive sanding but you'll have to buff them once you are done.

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
Yeah it looks like its tinted from the inside, see how the clear flyglass is dark too? I think I have to submerge it in something that'll dissolve the paint/tint I think.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Not JDM tails, they're much too dark.

Removing nightshade is a BITCH. Usually has to be sanded off as it's a tinted clear coat but it also seems to dye the existing plastic as well.

Also, if you're using drop in LED's in the tails, don't. Our lights don't work well with them at all. Only way to do it is to create your own arrays.

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
Poodles;1984486 said:
Not JDM tails, they're much too dark.

Removing nightshade is a BITCH. Usually has to be sanded off as it's a tinted clear coat but it also seems to dye the existing plastic as well.

Also, if you're using drop in LED's in the tails, don't. Our lights don't work well with them at all. Only way to do it is to create your own arrays.

What do you mean they don't work well? What issues normally come up?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
They don't function like a normal bulb in how they spread light. Some housings have reflectors that work well with them, others do not...ours falls under the "does not work well" category.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
3p141592654;1984524 said:
Uneven illumination. I use them for the license plate lights and side marker lights though, and they work quite well there.

As I was reading this I was wondering about the other lights as well but you already answered it. Any idea how they would work in the parking lights and turn signals up front?

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
Fogs are LED H3s
zy2ezuje.jpg

DRLs are LEDs
8epataqa.jpg

Sides are yellow LEDs since they're smoked out
y7a4ute6.jpg

Tail lights are red LEDs and rear sides
ha6a5yve.jpg

Turn signals are white LEDs since they have the yellow filter
u4ejageq.jpg

Reverse and brake lights
2e6yquru.jpg

Front blinkers with yellow LEDs since cover is smoked as well
e5enarus.jpg

I can probably take better pics without so much glare my phone sucks at night lol but they reflect great and fill out nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk