Timing is off please help!!!

mshaw067

I am doing my timing, I have everything set to TDC no.1 crank and cams lined up to the marks. The only problem i am having is that the car wil not start. The only time the car will start is when i set the timing way off, but even then the car does not idle and misfires. Please help, I have pics posted. The pic of the distributor is the only way i can get the car to start.

Attachments

• cam gears timing.jpg
    cam gears timing.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 30
  • distributor timing.jpg
    distributor timing.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 37

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Make sure the crank is at tdc by pulling no1 spark plug and inserting chop stick. Sometimes the crank wheel will get screwed. Dist could be bad as well.

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
The gear in the distributor will spin as you insert it. Turn it a notch back before you install it so it ends up on the No.1 Plug wire.

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
Before you put your cps in advance the mark on the crank to 10 degrees. Then put it in and while someone is cranking the motor you slowly adjust it. Just had this problem 3 weeks ago got it fixed and littteraly just helped somebody else over here from another forum that was having the same issues and now theres is running. Advance the crank to 10 degrees.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Don't know why a lot of people have trouble with this.

#1 piston at TDC

Rotor pointing at #1 plug wire

Cam gears on the marks

Crank pulley mark at "0"

Hand rotate the motor a couple of revs check all the marks again, if they don't line up then adjust them again.

Ifr the rotor isn't pointing at the #1 wire just pull the distributor up slightly until you can move the rotor over a notch on the gear, let it slide back down.

After it starts and warms up set the timing with a timing light, jumper wire in place.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Was the car running, change the timing belt, what have you done that you needed to do the timing? HG, etc.

Check your ECU grounds, AFM plugged in, fuel, need more info.

If you have everything lined up then it can be several other things for it not to start.

Also can't tell from the pic of the cam gears, do you have the pins in the center hole on the end of the cams?

Last edited:

mshaw067

yes i do. I did the clutch and i had to turn the pressure plate to get to all the bolts. The dist, bolt stripped out and my friend thought it would be a good idea to just pull the pist out. Thats why i had to redo the timing. I have the car in the shop at the moment, I hope they car figure it out cuz I am stumped.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Fix the distributor bolt?

If it was running before and that's all you did then lining all marks up, etc it should fire as long as noting else was changed.

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
I have posted once saying that before you put the cps back in you have to advance to 10 degrees on the balancer. But before you do that you have to make sure that everything is tdc. After you get your cps in all you have to do is just play with the timing from there. It will start up. That 0 mark is not the true way. Went through this on 2 7mgte motors in the past 4 weeks and they are both running now. I am driving it. lol

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
clutch;1775092 said:
I have posted once saying that before you put the cps back in you have to advance to 10 degrees on the balancer. But before you do that you have to make sure that everything is tdc. After you get your cps in all you have to do is just play with the timing from there. It will start up. That 0 mark is not the true way. Went through this on 2 7mgte motors in the past 4 weeks and they are both running now. I am driving it. lol
Not to disagree with you, but never had a problem doing it the way TSRM says to do it, always started right up, as long as there was nothing else wrong.

Also his is a GE not GTE, no CPS, distributor.

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
AJ'S 88NA;1775116 said:
Not to disagree with you, but never had a problem doing it the way TSRM says to do it, always started right up, as long as there was nothing else wrong.

Also his is a GE not GTE, no CPS, distributor.

That is my bad just looked at a pic and noticed that. I didnt think anybody still had a ge in there Supras