Timing Belt/Waterpump quote -- Am I going to get screwed?

Clinton

Power Blue!!
Apr 8, 2005
Sacramento, CA
Alright, I went to a mechanic who comes highly recommended in town (everyone I know with a foreign car in town, german or japanese takes their car to him when they need service) and got a quote for getting:

--Timing belt replaced
--Timing belt tensioner replaced
--Waterpump replaced
--Transmission (manual, R154) and Diff (LSD) drained and refilled

on my '89 Turbo.

the quote he gave me was:

Waterpump: CA$76.46 (US$67.41)
Timing Belt: CA$44.23 (US$39.00)
Timing Belt Tensioner: CA$74.40 (US$65.61)
3L 80W90 Gear Oil: CA$17.61 (US$15.52)
5 Hours Labour: CA$67.50/hour (US$59.51/hr) Total Labour: CA$337.50 (US$297.57)

Total Cost, out the door? CA$641.14 (US$565.30)

What I'd like to know is if this is how far this is out of average. and whether I'll end up shafted if I have him do it.

I'd do it myself, but right now, I'd like to have it in and out as quick as possible, and have someone who knows better what they're doing (I don't know what I'm doing yet -- trying to learn though) prep my car for my 1600 mile moving trip back down the 5 to Sacramento. Tools are also a problem on my end, and other knowlegable supra owners who would be willing to come help me with this in exchange for a couple cases of beer and a pizza are a rare commodity in Powell River ;)

Anyway, thanks in advance once more!

CCC

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
Ouch.

Seeing as how I only make $400 a month Id never pay that much for an afternoons worth of work.

Go get yourself a tool kit and save some money. Remember SM is here for ya if you need advice.

By the sounds of it the hardest thing youll have to do is set the timing.

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
That's a pretty fair price, for the work he has to do. However the guys are right, if you could find another way you should, but if you chose to have him do it he wouldn't be ripping you off in my eyes. Are you sure there's no supra guys around you? Or close?
eric

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
crap! i'd have done that all for you for $100.

-shaeff

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Parts & labor will kill U with any MKIII... which is why many of us do our own stuff...

That's not too much to pay, if you're paying someone else... tho you can get the parts cheaper than listed (you could get 'em at any auto parts) and the labor seems appropriate.

For what it's worth, someone with 7M-timing belt experiance can probably get it done in about 90 minutes (least that's what it took me when changing the front main seal (again).

If you're kind ashaky and are doing this other trip... let the mechanic handle it. your only other option is to find a member nearby who is willing to help ya out for a couple of hours...

Here's what I'd do....

1. Craftsman ~200 piece toolset = ~$160 US
2. Timing belt = ~$30 US
3. Waterpump = $30 US
4. Thermostat = $5 US

Download the TRSM and follow the steps there... if you are close to being mechanically inclined, you can do this in about 3 hours (w/no previous experience).

In the end, you have tools, some experience, and a few more $$ (US or CA) in your pocket, for your roadtrip.

Good luck!

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
My shop rate is $65/hr. If its n/a car, would have charged you 4 hrs.
5 hrs for turbo.

Parts $$ sound about right.

I would have also (unless you just did it) sold you a cooling system flush with the water pump job. Add $90.

Also add a radiator cap, thermostat, and 1 1/2 gal. coolant.

Maybe some hoses too.

The Timing belt job is seperate from the water pump job, by the way. You don't have to do them at the same time, like other cars.

And WHENEVER you change the timing belt, change the cam seals too !!!!!! They are about $8 ea. and only add about 1/2 hr labor.

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
you could change the water pump yourself,maybe even change the gear oil too. only thing i would let him do would be the belt and tensioner. but,like mrnickleye mentioned,theres more to it than what you see

Clinton

Power Blue!!
Apr 8, 2005
Sacramento, CA
mrnickleye said:
My shop rate is $65/hr. If its n/a car, would have charged you 4 hrs.
5 hrs for turbo.

Parts $$ sound about right.

I would have also (unless you just did it) sold you a cooling system flush with the water pump job. Add $90.

Also add a radiator cap, thermostat, and 1 1/2 gal. coolant.

Maybe some hoses too.

The Timing belt job is seperate from the water pump job, by the way. You don't have to do them at the same time, like other cars.

And WHENEVER you change the timing belt, change the cam seals too !!!!!! They are about $8 ea. and only add about 1/2 hr labor.

getting a cooling system flush from the local radiator shop -- old japanese guy been in business for about 953 years, give or take :p
charging me $57 for the flush, and refill, including coolant.

I'm doing the timing belt and waterpump at the same time, as it's a "while you're in there anyway" kind of thing, and I haven't had either changed since I bought the car.

considering doing the waterpump myself, or having my cooling system guy quote me on that, while he's in there flushing everything out.

the quote does include parts, any supra people on vancouver island or in vancouver want to come to Powell River to help me with my timing belt? :D

I'd love to find someone who knows what they're doing to come up and help me out here -- best way for me to learn is getting my hands dirty, but I'm afraid I'll feck something up, and with nobody knowlegable around to pull my ass out of the soup, I'm screwed :p

It'd also be nice to have someone take a peek at my rattly valvetrain -- I think it's gunked/collapsed lash adjusters, but it'd be nice to get an expert opinion.

Anyhoo, that's it for now, I'm going to bed :p

CCC

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
I did a timing belt/water pump on a 2j the other day for $500 plus parts. This is pretty much in line with what a supra would cost.

I THINK THIS QUOTE OF YOURS IS A FAIR DEAL.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Getting ready to do the 2JZ timing belt and waterpump in the next few days... I did the same on the 1JZ (removed hydro waterpump and installed US one)... just a wee bit more complicated than the 7M.

It's a decent quote and like it's been said... you don't really gain any "while you are there" benefits, since you can easily change the water pump, without having to do the belt (unlike the JZ series engines).

Last edited:

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
what's really cool is the tech makes out.. FLATRATE FTW. if a job is suppose to take 4hrs and i get it done in 3hrs, i get paid for 4. :)

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I guess I meant to ask before... but is there a problem with your waterpump or timing belt now?

If not, then you have two choices...

1. Get it done before the trip (U or shop).
2. Wait 'til you get to Sacramento and hook up with the local Supra groups.

Pros/cons to each scenario. If you're really just wanting peace of mind for the trip, go with option 1.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
you said you have no time?

then that option will probably be the quickest.

$650 is not to bad a bill for all that.

man I knew most of you mkiii owners where fucking cheap but god damn it........