Time to rebuild. PICs updated as i go.

WonIt

Air ,Fuel ,Spark!
Feb 26, 2006
Front Royal,VA
Alrighty people its time to tear into this thing. My car is a 89' white package, turbo, 5spd. About a year ago my last engine developed a bad case of rod knock , so i snatched it out and threw another in along with the 5spd swap. Engine ran good when it was in the donor car. I did the not so smart thing and didnt put a HG,or bearings in it before i put it in. So now ofcourse it has a BGH ,and a slight case of rod knock.

I am going to rebuild the first engine. As for my HP goals i am looking for 350rwhp . I want it to be reliable of course, not gonna be a DD but when i drive it i want to be able to drive it hard without it breaking it. I have never built an engine before,but i have done just about everything else.

my mods so far are:
-BIC DDP
-BIC test pipe
-custom 3" exhaust
-Cooleeze Hardpipes
-Greddy RS bov
-Cooleeze Hard Intake

things i have but not installed:
-SAFC NEO
-LEX afm
- 60 trim CT26- in need of rebuild
-Manual Boost controller

Things on my list to buy for HP goal:
-550's
-FMIC
-Walbro FP
-decent clutch
-MHG

Now back to things i need to do to get the engine ready. I am looking for any advice ,or to be pointed in the rite direction if im wrong here. this is what i have on my list of to do's:
-Hot tank ,and deck block
-have crank checked/repaired or replaced if necessary
-All new bearings,seals and gaskets
-have head decked
-replace piston rings
-replace freeze plugs
-new oil pump
-ARP hardware

As of now i only have 1 question. if i need to get oversized bearings,or different sized ones where can i get them? the places i have seen offer oversized ,or stock size. what if i need 1 oversized and the rest stock size? just replace crank? i was looking at the ACL bearings,from what i have read they are decent. any input?

heres a few pics of the car,and one of the engine:

p993083_1.jpg

p993083_2.jpg

p993083_3.jpg

p993083_4.jpg

p993083_5.jpg

Last edited:

noah89t

get naked & boost a supra
toyota makes over bearings, also clevite seems to be popular. what you really need it a copy of the tsrm. get it from jeff watson at champion toyota 1800-327-2087. if you go back to stock sized bearings, you need to know that they are all not the same size. there are some numbers on the block and crank that you add to get the main bearing size and numbers on the block and rods to get the rod bearings. if you get the block decked, make sure the back timing plate is also machined down to the height of your block so the head will seal. a complete toyota gasket kit will run you around 300.00 and you can sell the stock hg that comes in the kit if you go metal. get a new oil pump and freeze plugs while you're at it.
plastiguage all bearings!!!!!

WonIt

Air ,Fuel ,Spark!
Feb 26, 2006
Front Royal,VA
Supra469;993202 said:
Very cool.

What wheel is that laying in the background?

Dunno, there is no name or markings anywhere on it. I pulled the set off of a Honda i junked(where they all need to be) a while back. was gonna throw them on my SR powered 240,but im selling it to rebuild this engine.

WonIt

Air ,Fuel ,Spark!
Feb 26, 2006
Front Royal,VA
noah89t;993221 said:
toyota makes over bearings, also clevite seems to be popular. what you really need it a copy of the tsrm. get it from jeff watson at champion toyota 1800-327-2087. if you go back to stock sized bearings, you need to know that they are all not the same size. there are some numbers on the block and crank that you add to get the main bearing size and numbers on the block and rods to get the rod bearings. if you get the block decked, make sure the back timing plate is also machined down to the height of your block so the head will seal. a complete toyota gasket kit will run you around 300.00 and you can sell the stock hg that comes in the kit if you go metal. get a new oil pump and freeze plugs while you're at it.
plastiguage all bearings!!!!!

I will give him a call on the tsrm. Clevite better than ACL? Yea, i knew you had to do the number on the block and crank thing... dunno what i was thinking. probably gonna have eveything measured by the machinist im gonna send it to. Glad you said something about the timing plate im sure i would have sent it there without that plate.plastiguage is new to me , i will be researching that one. ty for ya input.

eman2289

Noob..but not incompetent
Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
That 60 trim is not going to be too reliable. There have been many horror stories about them going after only a few hundred miles.

WonIt

Air ,Fuel ,Spark!
Feb 26, 2006
Front Royal,VA
eman2289;993258 said:
That 60 trim is not going to be too reliable. There have been many horror stories about them going after only a few hundred miles.

Guess i should be able to put a 57 trim in there then? im gusseing there shouldnt be a problem with doing that?

WonIt

Air ,Fuel ,Spark!
Feb 26, 2006
Front Royal,VA
Here we are after a couple hours. Engine was sitting outside in the weather for a few months.... hopefully i can get the cylinders cleaned out good. maybe i will get it honed?!

p993328_1.jpg

p993328_2.jpg

WonIt

Air ,Fuel ,Spark!
Feb 26, 2006
Front Royal,VA
For this HP goal do i really need to put in all ARP bolts and studs? I think i could get away with new stock headbolts. what yall think?

WonIt

Air ,Fuel ,Spark!
Feb 26, 2006
Front Royal,VA
gaboonviper85;994772 said:
Sure you could....but why???? You said yourself you want this motor strong and so you can beat on it...then build it right with arp hardware.

you got a good point there. added to the list!