Ticking sound when driving (not engine)

--Wolf--

May 8, 2009
Chch, New Zealand
Best way I would use to describe this - when you put a card or a piece of cardboard next to the spokes of a bicycle wheel and it hits it each time it goes round. The faster you go the faster the noise is.

If that makes sense. Basically when I'm driving I can hear a ticking noise at anything above 20kmph. It sounds like it's coming from the right hand side (drivers side) and initially I thought it might be one of the tyres, but have checked them and can't see anything. They're all inflated properly. It is possible there might be a stone I've missed, but I'm not sure if that would make the noise it's making.

It's possible the noise is coming from just under the car (on the RH side) too. Now the diff used to have a small leak. As I wouldn't have a clue how to check the oil level in it (struggle to jack it up now due to it's height, Tein coilovers) so if that ran out of oil could/would that cause a ticking noise? Otherwise I have no idea what might be causing it.

Short version:

-Ticking noise from RH (drivers) side, either just underneath car or one of the wheels, probably towards the back more
-Happens over 20kmph and the faster you are traveling, the faster the noise is.
-Loud enough to have me worried enough to make this thread.

Thanks

UPDATE: (Oct 24th)

Sorry for the I suppose bad news, but it seems it's fixed itself.

Took it out on the motorway (highway) and it seems since then it's gone, so my guess is it was just something stuck somewhere that's probably come off from maybe the high speeds.

Last edited:

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
You are sure that there isn't anything hanging down and touching the road? Or touching the wheel or driveshaft? Often with minitrucks (sorry that's what I know really well) when you lower them it changes the suspension geometry and will cause issues. Maybe the driveshaft u joints or carrier bearing... or rear axles... Try opening your door while you are driving to pinpoint the noise. LOL that's what I honestly would do if I couldn't pinpoint it. I would hang out my door at 30km/h or so and look under there. Carefully.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
^If you attempt the above, PLEASE HAVE SOMEONE ELSE DRIVE THE VEHICLE. Last thing we need to see is a thread with "broke my neck trying to find a noise on my car while hanging out the window going 30km/h."

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
ziptie on driveshaft or axle. lol <--- best prank ever drives people nuts

ok serious mode now. check your CV axles. a clicking or ticking can indacate a bad tripod bearring in the cv. check the boots for rips or tears that would let water and crap in. also check for the ebake cable that its not rubbing on the rim, though car will have to be on the ground for that, so a mirror might help.

to check diff oil you pull the fill plug and stick your finger in there. if oil comes out while taking it off, its fine, means its full. just remember to by LSD gear oil, or atleast add the LSD additive. if you cant feel oil, add thru the fill plug till it comes out

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
^ I'd check tires very thoroughly first. I've seen someone who had an 8mm bolt stuck in the tread of their tire and they came in because of a tick noise, not a flat tire.

Otherwise what everyone else has advised is definitely a good start. Check for anything on the driveshaft/axle, play in the drive shaft support bearing and the u-joints, make sure your axles are good, and diff oil level. If it's something that's not RPM dependant but speed dependant, you're looking at something behind the transmission or attached to one of the wheels.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
bioskyline;1767407 said:
ziptie on driveshaft or axle. lol <--- best prank ever drives people nuts
I was gonna say, "wouldn't it be a dick move if someone pulled the ziptie trick here...?" but you beat me to it. If not that, check the tires over as thoroughly as possible, around here, getting a rock or other debris in your tire is as common as dirt in a desert.

hvyman;1767426 said:
Also drivers side is te left side ;)

Unless you're in upside down land! :p

--Wolf--

May 8, 2009
Chch, New Zealand
Yip down here in New Zealand it's right hand drive (that's why I mentioned right was drivers side)

Plenty of advice to go by so far so will get onto it. Hopefully I will find out what's causing it. Thanks for all the replies!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
When you do find out what it is, be sure to update us. Nobody likes searching through dead end threads without a resolution. ;)

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
I can't tell what wheels you have on your avatar but the spokes mounting hardware could come loose and make that clicking sounds. It's those bolts around the side walls if it's the case.