Throttle body gasket

LoveMySupra

Aug 3, 2008
Socal - USA
I have found 3 different throttle body gaskets for the 7m.
One that is available at parts stores for the turbo engine has a little opening. I'm going off memory but i'd say the opening is about 1.5" in diameter. When put against the throttle body (off the car) and moving the butterfly the butterfly will touch the gasket. Btw, this gasket was $2.
Doing a google search I found two other gaskets. They both have openings that match the diameter of the butterfly. One is for a n/a engine and the other is for a 89+ turbo engine. One of them has mickey mouse-ish ears that contour the top of the throttle body to accomodate the vacuum line ports up top and one doesn't. The one with the mickey mouse ears lists around $15 and the other lists like $3.

What are the differences between the 3 :Q:
Why would one obstruct the butterfly's movement :Q:
Should i cut the one i got to match the full opening of the butterfly.. Should I also cut out the mickey mouse ears :Q:

thanks in advance,
will add pics this late afternoon..
Chris

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
That's why I bought mine from the dealer. Also one of the reasons I think felpro is a ripoff as their gaskets look exactly like the super cheap stuff you can get on ebay...

digihonk82

Mar 28, 2011
Olathe, KS
I've learned the only intake kit the parts store has is for the N/A supra. That little TB gasket u got is the same one they gave me at Oreillys when I tried to buy a turbo intake kit. Anyways what I ended up doing is buying a sheet of Mr. Gasket intake gasket and creating my own gaskets for the TB, ISC, and CSI

LoveMySupra

Aug 3, 2008
Socal - USA
Oreilleys can order the other two.
I'm going to cut the one i got to fit the inside diameter.
Why does this crazy one exist with a waayyyy smaller diameter opening..

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
^ Beer first. A TB gasket change is a two beer job :)

Old mechanic's trick: place gasket material on part and tap lightly around sheet with ball peen or screwdriver handle to imprint. Tear/cut as needed. Crude, but effective...

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
digihonk82;1737723 said:
I've learned the only intake kit the parts store has is for the N/A supra. That little TB gasket u got is the same one they gave me at Oreillys when I tried to buy a turbo intake kit. Anyways what I ended up doing is buying a sheet of Mr. Gasket intake gasket and creating my own gaskets for the TB, ISC, and CSI

This is exactly what I was going to suggest..... thats what I did

p1737956_1.jpg

p1737956_2.jpg

p1737956_3.jpg

p1737956_4.jpg

p1737956_5.jpg