Throttle Body Difference and TPS

stolensupra

Gotta spray to play!
Jan 2, 2010
NORTH CAROLINA- Greensboro
So during this top end redo that I've been working on I have noticed something very peculiar. I have had two non-original engines in my supra since buying it and when putting it back together have been mixing and matching parts using the cleanest and best looking ones. I noticed a very striking difference between the two throttle bodies that I have. I also noticed a big difference in how the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) goes on and in. These metal butterflies in the pictures have been switched already so I could use the cleaner TB. (originally the horizontal piece was on the clean TB and vice versa) I am using the TPS originally from the dirtier looking one. Has anyone ran into this situation before or know what the difference between these indicates? Whether it is JDM vs Domestic? Year of cars? I hope this will at least prepare someone for what they could encounter doing something similar. Thanks Guys.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
that why there are 2 different part numbers

and here is another food for thought when useing thous ebay thottle bodyies the 88 tps fit the 89 plus ones don't

stolensupra

Gotta spray to play!
Jan 2, 2010
Well if anyone else runs into this situation the little metal butterflys are easily interchangeable. My older model TPS and newer TB work just fine now. No Calibration Problems. Thanks for the info and the reply NashMan

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
The cleaner one is a jdm one thats why its missing the extra vac port jdms dont have an egr so no need for that vac hose. As for the tps not sure never took mine off, but I am going to end up replacing the whole thing anyways because the throttle bracket is different too. In the jdm ones the throttle cable hooks to the linkage, where the usdm hook to that remote pivot with the bars going between.

stolensupra

Gotta spray to play!
Jan 2, 2010
yeah my new motor doesn't have egr. The throttle brackets are actually really easy to switch as well. I did it today in about 15 minutes or so. If you by any chance need a TB I'm planning on selling the non JDM one. It does have the JDM throttle bracket on it. Thanks for the reply buddy.

Chrisco

Build in Progress
Jan 4, 2009
Downers Grove, IL
Bumping this thread to request/add additional information appropriate to the thread title.

Which year (range) throttle body uses the horizontally opposed "metal butterfly" vs. which year (range) uses the vertically opposed "metal butterfly"?

Also, which color (part number label) and part number TPS goes to which year range throttle body?