Thought it was BHG...

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
Well I was almost convinced that I had a BHG these past 2 weeks. I kept 'consuming' coolant, my overflow bottle was always going empty on me and it would overflow when shut off at night. Also, I had the beloved waterfall sound behind the dash board *every* time I started the car. Oh yes, I tried to burp the system but it ended up making more of a mess than anything else.

So Nash told me to check the little things. "Rplac tsat an d rad cap" he says. So, I took a trip down to Toyota alley and bought me a new thermostat and radiator cap, also picked up some fresh coolant on the way home.

After dropping most of the coolant out of the rad (which I had already done recently) and replaced the thermostat, refilled it up with roughly 60/40 coolant/water ratio and put on my new rad cap. I started it up drove it around and it still had the water fall sound but was quite less.

After about 5 days later, the sound is gone. I no longer overflow onto the ground, and my reservoir isn't being sucked dry.

Now it's time to head down to Napa and pick up a coolant test kit and see if my old stuff has any signs of oil/fuel.

I'd just thought I'd let you guys know - especially the newer guys like me - to check the easy things first before assuming it's BHG. :icon_bigg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
just did this myself

I was having all those issues, but a compression test came back fine. replaced all that stuff, and it doesn't leak anymore...

always the little things isn't it LOL