This just had to happen!

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
If some of you are kepping up with my build thread you will see that I am currently in the process of rebuild another 7mgte. Well I havent posted any updates on that build since I have been on 12 hour shifts for a few days and really havent felt like getting on the computer when I get back from work so that I can post up pictures on my build.

I recently redone the head of the motor. By redoing it I mean cleaning it up good new valve seals cleaning olot of the carbon out of the ports. So I have but the head back on the block tourqued it and last night was getting ready to start doing the exhaust studs and low and behold I got a gut feeling to do another thing before i started that. And this is one of those times that I have actually followed my gut feeling and did it.

The water line on the back of the head was looking rough and there was a bur on it. so I went out to my shed and sourced a decent looking one off of one of the 4 heads that I have back there and when I came back in to pop that one off low and behold she twisted right off and left the thread portion in the head.

So has anybody on here had this happen to you and if so how did you remove it. I tried taking it out with a screwdriver and a hammer. will not budge, I have even heated it up and tried to take it out. and I figured if it is this much of an issue like that what are the odds of a set of easy outs are going to take it out.

And I really do not want to go backwards on the maintenance that I have already put into the motor. That is another headgasket that I am going to have to wait on and then I need to order another set of valve seals and that will take at least 2 weeks for me to get ahold of so if there is anybody out there that can offer some advice I would greatly appreciate it.

While I am at work today I am going to make me a holder that I made last night and fill it with dry ice then I am going to heat up the head again and drop the dry in the center and see if I can get that to work. I have acces to a machine here that we use to make our own dry ice when we are building up the bearing areas here on the fighter craft so I was thinking that it is kind of the same concept just a little twisting involved instead of trying to mate a surface up.

Was brought to my attention but I thought that i would edit and inform you all that read this I am talking about the banjo bolt that is on the back for the coolant line to connect to. Sorry for any miscommunication that I may have brought on.

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
proto.jpg

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
IJ.;1785383 said:

Thank you IJ. I will run out and get one of these this evening hopefully I can find one here because they never seem to have the tools I need over here for maintenance. I am all the time having to order stuff from the states when it comes to a special item.

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
The part on the top of the banjo bolt above the threads is not there. It twisted completely off. Where the holes are at for the water to go through that is where it twisted off at. So the threads from the banjo bolt are still in the head. funny and aggravating at the same time.

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
Well here is an update for you all keeping up with this if any. I went and bought a tool similar to what IJ pointed out and low and behold I DID NOT get it out in fact the head twisted completely off the easy out pictures to follow on this going to go try one more thing ore i may just redo another head because i am starting to worry about the stress if any that i have put on this one trying to remove the rest of the banjo bolt. Going to go today and pick up another motor that I ran across with a blown head gasket and I traded 6 American Snickers Bars for it. Probably the best trade of my life.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Don't force it in. You don't want too much pressure on the tool, otherwise it will force the threads into the head, making it harder to remove. If that makes sense.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
that is one thing i didnt do lol. I just set it in the hole and started trying to back it out and that didnt work. I fought with it for about 20 min then my father in law came in and he started to help me and then the e z out snapped off in the banjo bolt. So I ended up picking up my other motor today. And I am going to get the pictures up of the issue that I had on the other head and going to start the other one in the morning. I was going through the parts shed this morning to get a chain for my hoist and found a set of new Valve seals and a friend of mine over here told me that he had a head gasket that he wasnt going to use and it was just hanging on his garage wall so he hooked me up. Hope to be back on track after the weekend.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
This is why I posted the tool I did, if I'd meant an easy out I'd have posted one... :nono:

The Proto tool doesn't expand the fitting and make it tighter and I've never seen or heard of one this size breaking.