Thinking About Using Spray Sealer on a MHG?...Might Want to Read This

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
jdub said:
You mean this thread:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21566

The one where SupraCentral removed your obscenities & insults in post #25...the one where SupraCentral rolled it back for the same reasons in Post #42 in an effort to keep it civil.

You were not banned for expressing your opinion...nice try, but IMO you were banned for the reasons above. You can do as you wish...as I said then, and still say now, you're going affect the factory coating with chemicals that have an adverse effect. I'm sorry, but an emotional arguement based on hearsay doesn't work with me.

ok whatever you say man

don't put gasket sealer on yur mhg it is bad i wouldn't recommend it at all!!!!

awesome information GO JDUB!!

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Going through a BHG right now....lol.

I like how you made it sound like I was diagnosed with a disease or something. :D

:eek3:

Well...I'm just putting everything together now.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Lol, I seen part of your "disease" on one of your friend's hoodies at the supra meet a couple of weeks back. I was like, "Hey, where's the Korean?" They were like, "He's got a BHG right now so he couldn't make it." He then comences to point out a big oil stain on his hoody and says, "Here's part of him right here." Then Suprahero said something like, "Yeah, we keep parts of our BHG buddies with us all the time."

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
The Greddy MHG I used had no viton coating. It had no coatings that I could see actually.

I've used this gasket now on 4 motors, and it's been clamped down 5 times. Four times we used brake quite, and one time we used hylomar, and none of the times has the gasket leaked at all.

This last time we actually clamped it between the tourqe plate and the block, then bored the motor and the gasket, then cleaned it all up again, coated it with brake quiet, and clamped it back in place again. (No problems so far.)

No idea what the RA is, but it was pretty smooth. I would not say mirror smooth, but you could not feel any machine marks, but you can see them. I belive the brake quiet does a great job of sealing up the small machine marks, and it's tough enough to hold up to boost and combustion pressures. We all know the metal head gasket is stronger than the composite ones, so they rarely ever distort unless there is crazy detonation. (At least in my experiance.)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Re-using a MHG with a spray coating is fine...it's when the viton is present there's a problem. Heck...using the spray on a composite HG is likely ok too ;)

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
starscream5000 said:
Lol, I seen part of your "disease" on one of your friend's hoodies at the supra meet a couple of weeks back. I was like, "Hey, where's the Korean?" They were like, "He's got a BHG right now so he couldn't make it." He then comences to point out a big oil stain on his hoody and says, "Here's part of him right here." Then Suprahero said something like, "Yeah, we keep parts of our BHG buddies with us all the time."

"Here's part of him right here."

:rofl::biglaugh::rofl::biglaugh::rofl:

Back on Topic...

Hylomar Blue = looks & smells like silly string = Using Silly string to seal your HG works just fine..........right?

:rolleyes:

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
jdub said:
Re-using a MHG with a spray coating is fine...it's when the viton is present there's a problem. Heck...using the spray on a composite HG is likely ok too ;)

Good info for the mentally challlenged builder, but it should read "thinking of using spray sealer on a new head gasket"!:naughty: :biglaugh:

darkspeed

Supramania Contributor
Oct 1, 2006
Montgomery, AL
www.pbase.com
I was curious if the copper spray was a good or bad idea. I went with it anyway.

I've been running 17psi for about 1.5 years on an upgraded ct26; no problems yet. But then again, with the T61 at 20 psi it may go to shit.

I wonder, since I let the copper spray tack for 30 minutes, maybe some of the solvent reducer in the spray dissipated; who knows.

D

drumminforev

Ok, no spray on mhg, got that.

What about on stock graphite head gasket? Just slap it on or should some sealer be used. Is there a certain RA spec for stock that needs to be met?

D

drumminforev

it doesnt need to be lapped or anything?

What type of cleaning substance should i use to get the bits of old hg off

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Gasket remover will work fine for that. Clean up the block surface and the head, put on the new gasket, bolt it down and you should e good to go, just remember to torque Toyota bolts to 72 foot pounds, or if you're using ARPs use the specs they specify on the instruction insert.

badboysupra

Banned
Mar 22, 2007
Vallejo, Ca.
I remember seing this one JDM option 2 video that they put RTV on a head gasket for a SR20DET?? the RTV's color was orange.. I dont know if it works good but they got the car running and used the car for drifting. maybe some JDM shit huh dont ya'llz think?

aite, peace.