they estimated head resurface 500$$$ 0.o?

7mgte_supra

The Hmong Guy
Nov 4, 2006
chico, Ca
Is it really that expensive? for resurfacing just the head? Cause wow, Napa Auto parts estimated that with a bunch of other valve jobs, and came up with 500. Can you guys give me your estimated the cost of your head and block resurface job? thanks.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
these are decent prices:

grind valve's 195
set valve heights 60
R&R exhaust guides 35 (part cost 31.50. total 7 replaced.)=66.50
reface head 45
set up cam adj 185

my bill came to 556.50 after all said and done.

if there doing that then it's alright, but since napa isn't a machine shop in most cases, they send it out and make a profit, call around or ask mechanics of good shops in the area, even if you have to find some import performance shop to ask their opinion on the best machine shop around it's info worth dweling over. plus price difference between shops.the shop i choose wasn't the cheapest shop but had best word of mouth experience, and liked the end result.

i talked to a shop today about lighting the crank and he said they couldn't do it then, said their machiens weren't set up for it, but avised if i wanted to lighten my crank my self to make sure i didn't grin off large amounts in one area' so i didn't make the crank worthless since they would not be able to rebalnce the crank.

and all in all i dont think he took me very serious about building my motor.

worst thing is i was just in there 5 minutes before droping off my friends conquest head to be rebuilt. and said a fe thing's about supra's lol

KMinAF

Old Man
Sep 15, 2006
American Fork, UT
My machining cost a little over $200.00 but they ground the tip of each valve stem and didn't reset valve clearance. I found this out after the fact when starting the engine for the first time last week. I measured the clearances and they were all about .010 over tolerance.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
My bill came out roughly around $700

labor included.

Complete tear down of head.
Torque head down and stick in oven to help straighten as much as possible.
Head mill
Media blast
valve inspection and replacement as needed
center bore cam shaft holders as needed (luckily none did!)
valve shim adjustment and reinstall.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
It depends on what's all done.

I brought my head into a shop, and it cost me a bit over $900. I do think that this was a bit high, but there was a lot to do. I brought it in with the cams and valves still in, so they:

Disassembled the head
Cleaned and surfaced the casting.
Cleaned the valves
5 angle grind on the seats and valves
Replace all valve stem seals
Check cam bearings (All were okay, but now I'm SURE.)
Assemble head
re-shim all valves to tolerance.

All in all, that wasn't a bad deal, to me.

So it depends on what's included. If I'd just brough in a bare, clean head casting, I'd have been severely annoyed to pay that much just to have it surfaced.

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
I got quoted for a head resurfacing job at a grand total of 45 bucks. With the block it probably would have ended up at around $100.

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
You need to break it down or be more exact.. If they want 500 to resurface the head and only resurface ... then thats way way to much... 45-100.. 100 being a mirror finish to... decking a block cost tad more because its more labor i guess to lift the block up lol.. cost me 125 to have block decked...

And some privetly owned napas do have small machine shops

7mgte_supra

The Hmong Guy
Nov 4, 2006
chico, Ca
It's not just resurfacing the head, it's other jobs done too. My dad is the one who called in, I was still at school, but it then I tooked it in. It's doing other valve job and testing too.

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
well i dont know alot about the finish but it needs to be done corectly.. but 500 to do a compleat rebuild aka valve job guides seals surface and adjust them aint bad...

Now for what i know about valve jobs and what i have read on here.. it seams machine shops been tiping valves way to much... From what i have read and my own dealings with my supra id tell them they might not want to tip the valves.. or you will have a noisy valve train and shims are 5 bucks each...

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Holy hell.

This is why you tear your own head down as far as possible so you don't get raped for extra labor costs.

It cost me $120 for my valve job, $24 to set valve heights and $50 for resurfacing. I understand the 7M has more valves, but not $500 worth of valves :x

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
I dont think id pay that much. Here i got an estimate at $200 for disassembly, cleaning, valvejob, check valve guides and install new valve seals, resurface and assembly for my 7m head.

Red7m

Oct 16, 2005
Hollidaysburg PA
I took a head into a local machinist that is know to be good and inexpensive. He cleaned the head and the valves, retapped the exhaust side for the studs, surfaced and did a 3 angle valve job for $125.