Thermostat question

585Soup

Mar 12, 2015
Colorado
After fixing the coolant leak(keeping fingers crossed still)...I drove her to work today. On the way I got concerned as the temp gauge rised above half way. So I pulled over, shut it off and looked to see if it was pissing coolant. Nothing was leaking. I get back in the car and the temp gauge drops down to about 2/5ths, like it should. It did the same thing on the way home. Do I maybe have the wrong temp thermostat? I plan to just remove it tomorrow as this is only a summer car for me. Any issues by removing it that I should know of? I know it'll take longer to warm up, but the car should run cooler and not scare me by running hot like that temporarily.

585Soup

Mar 12, 2015
Colorado
Yeah pretty much. I let it run the other day for an hour while checking to see if it still leaks. Guess I'll try and burp it tomorrow morning.

585Soup

Mar 12, 2015
Colorado
I ended up jacking the front up as high as I could and let it run for a good 30 minutes. After it spilling a lot of coolant out, it finally dropped and I was able to add about half a quart or so of coolant. There were a ton of little air bubbles as well before it dropped. So I might be good now. We'll see on the way to work

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Thermostat maintains a minimum temperature, not a maximum temperature. The cooling system (radiator, coolant/water mix, fan, shrouds, water pump) maintain maximum temperature.

585Soup

Mar 12, 2015
Colorado
drove it to work and no real issues. it did at one point, start to rise up about 2 notches, but it then dropped back down. so i'm guessing theres still a little air trapped in it. for now though, it should help ease my worrying. i'll bleed it more this weekend

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
huh. i just heard that noise while driving yesterday.
i've been trying to diagnose why my car pushes coolant out of the overflow when i get on it.
the gauge never goes past halfway.....

585Soup

Mar 12, 2015
Colorado
no sound behind dash. it did that before...and pushed out coolant. found a few leaky hoses that were allowing air in the system previously, which is what was probably causing it

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
gsxr141;2049900 said:
huh. i just heard that noise while driving yesterday.
i've been trying to diagnose why my car pushes coolant out of the overflow when i get on it.
the gauge never goes past halfway.....

Coolant overflow under load can be a sign of a blown head gasket. Water jackets dont seal -> combustion gas pressure leaks into the water jacket and pushes coolant out anywhere it can -> overflow fills and purges coolant.

585Soup

Mar 12, 2015
Colorado
my thermostat was brand new. it was definitely an air bubble for me. bled it again this morning, after last night having it rise up a bit and drop again. the drive to work today, it got to 2/5ths, 1/3rd.. which ever, and didn't go any higher. So crossing my fingers, thinking it's resolved.

Gsxr - has your HG been replaced? if not, even check your head bolts. when i replaced mine, the front two bolts were loose, loose enough to where i could have removed them by hand. under compression, it could be forcing exhaust gasses into the coolant jackets in the front.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
i'm pretty sure it is the hg. the bitch of it is, i just rebuilt the motor and used a titan hg.
it's all good........ i'm putting in a completely built motor and head on saturday.
i'll just fix this one and sell it.