The truth about speed traps

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
I have a better defense:

Don't speed or man up when you're caught. irregardless of how they caught you.

IB4The80PercentRule or w/e it is.

Yeah, I said irregardless.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
This is bullshit:

it's not a trap but a necessary evil, and a crucial deterrent to keep rampant, potentially dangerous speeders in constant fear for their licenses.

The NHTSA Crash Causation Survey (DOT HS 811 059 - Attached to this post) states that speed is a critical factor in only small percentage of crashes...

So if the government knows that few accidents are caused by speed, why so much enforcement? I'll tell you why:

The fact that it rakes in cash for the city, county or state [strike]just makes it a win-win for the good guys.[/strike]

That's the reason. It's not a "win-win for the good guys" - it's fucking bullshit, and MSN wouldn't know what journalistic credibility was if I beat them to death with it.

The article lost me right there and I stopped reading. It's bullshit pablum for easily influenced people...

Attachments

• 8110591-congress..pdf
    373.9 KB · Views: 34

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
I don't really take one side or the other when it comes to speeders. There is too big of a grey area. I'm more concerned whether or not people are reckless. In the few years I've been with my dept., I've only written one speeding ticket. And he deserved it. Lol. Now that I think about it, I remember a Lt. told me once. "We don't do this job to annoy people. If you stop anyone doing less than 10 over, that's all you're doing."

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Supracentral;1569199 said:
This is bullshit:

The NHTSA Crash Causation Survey (DOT HS 811 059 - Attached to this post) states that speed is a critical factor in only small percentage of crashes...

So if the government knows that few accidents are caused by speed, why so much enforcement? I'll tell you why:

That's the reason. It's not a "win-win for the good guys" - it's fucking bullshit, and MSN wouldn't know what journalistic credibility was if I beat them to death with it.

The article lost me right there and I stopped reading. It's bullshit pablum for easily influenced people...

I've always herd that the state doesn't make That much money. The company that installs and maintains the photo radar traps makes most of the money off each ticket. Here in Az they are not renewing the contract for the high way photo radar traps because they weren't making the money off them.

I hate the speed traps because the flow of traffic suddenly and dramatically slows down. The rare times I am on the high way near the speed traps it's typical to cruise the speed limit approaching the trap(which has warning signs). There is always some idiot that sees the warning sign and decides he has to go 10-15mph Under the speed limit and jams on the brakes. Now you have people who are swerving out of their lanes to avoid the slow guy or people not paying attention and really slam their brakes to avoid hitting the slow guy. Next thing you know you are going 35mph in a 65mph zone, all because people can't just go the speed limit.

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
I have had multiple tickets within the last 2 months. None from a speed trap thing, but all from cops who feel that doing 10-15 over the speed limit is just batshit insane. They pretty much told me so during the traffic stop as well - and the funny thing is I never have enough conversation with them anymore to spur their idiotic remarks. I am going to contest the last one I got just recently, and I am hoping to God I win, because I have another one on a "pre-trial" which means I would have to pay it as well as the one I just recently was given...

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
For those that live in states where speed traps are in place: I've heard the cameras have a 10mph buffer before they snap a picture of your plate? For example, if the speed limit is 70mph, you can safely to 79mph without getting a ticket. Any truth to that?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
As far as I know, my state has no cameras, except for on red lights. So, irregardless (Ha! Used it again) of your speed, if you pay attention to your surroundings at all times as you should, there are plenty of signs to point out the hiding cops. The cops around here love to sit on the interstate (left lane side/ intelligent huh) on the downhill side of a bridge going over a crossing road to hide. If you can see more than 25 feet past your hood, there are plenty of bright red warning signs. As stated earlier, you may be saved by the intimidated drivers stopping in front of you. Unmarked cars are sometimes hard to pick out, but they have warning signs if you suspect you may be near one. Most cops ride alone. Watch the actions of others closer. If approaching from behind, what does the tag tell you. Is it out of state maybe? Is it municipal? Think about more than just getting your ass there as fast as you can when you drive. The more risk you take should be equaled by the amount of attention you should increase. Don't just aimlessly haul ass everywhere you go.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Dunckel;1569527 said:
For those that live in states where speed traps are in place: I've heard the cameras have a 10mph buffer before they snap a picture of your plate? For example, if the speed limit is 70mph, you can safely to 79mph without getting a ticket. Any truth to that?

My oldest brother used to live in Arizona until very recently, and while there one of the cameras gave him a ticket for going two mph over the posted limit. So no I don't think so.

He's probably the only one to ever go that close to the limit but still be over, since everyone else either slammed their brakes or they earned the ticket lol. And yes, he was able to get the ticket waived.