The time has come....

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Not to mention that the mains and rods will have to be resized if you decide to change the hardware, which is an added cost if everything was in spec with the stock hardware.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
IJ.;1805996 said:
Many many years ago before most of these guys were old enough to drive Reg Reimer had the Headbolts tested and found like most Toyota parts they're very well made from good quality materials, since ARP's have become cheaper and easily available people just use them as the default fastener, I've done the same with my LS Chev based project.

I think a lot of guys are wrongly blaming the Toyota fasteners for the 7M HG issues....

Completely agreed. I've seen and reviewed the testing. The only reason I use and suggest ARP studs is because they are studs instead of bolts and the cost difference is minimal in the grand scheme. I wouldn't have any major issues with using OEM Toyota hardware if I needed to.

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
IJ.;1805996 said:
Many many years ago before most of these guys were old enough to drive Reg Reimer had the Headbolts tested and found like most Toyota parts they're very well made from good quality materials, since ARP's have become cheaper and easily available people just use them as the default fastener, I've done the same with my LS Chev based project.

I think a lot of guys are wrongly blaming the Toyota fasteners for the 7M HG issues....

I just read the article on the toyota head bolts fasteners. The only culprit for the infamous BHG is the torque spec, there is nothing else to it really?.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
shipkiller;1806360 said:
I just read the article on the toyota head bolts fasteners. The only culprit for the infamous BHG is the torque spec, there is nothing else to it really?.

Change in Gasket material and no change in the torque setting is the root of it.

TRDownShift

Sep 19, 2010
Austin, Texas, United States
So as long as the Rod bolts and main studs are not visibly damaged I can use them? .... That would be a great help. I guess What I'll do then is hold off on buying any bolts until I get everything out and fount of me, then IF they are damaged I'll run to toyota and grab a set from them.

Ah one more thing... my struts are going.. even in sport mode the car drives like an 84 cadi.. If I corner hard it feels like I'm driving a boat, whats the CHEAPEST way I can fix this? it's not something that needs to be done RIGHT THIS MOMENT but it would be nice if my car didn't corner like a school bus :p

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
TRDownShift;1806421 said:
So as long as the Rod bolts and main studs are not visibly damaged I can use them? .... That would be a great help. I guess What I'll do then is hold off on buying any bolts until I get everything out and fount of me, then IF they are damaged I'll run to toyota and grab a set from them.

Ah one more thing... my struts are going.. even in sport mode the car drives like an 84 cadi.. If I corner hard it feels like I'm driving a boat, whats the CHEAPEST way I can fix this? it's not something that needs to be done RIGHT THIS MOMENT but it would be nice if my car didn't corner like a school bus :p

Ring Toyota, I know here they almost give TEM shocks away as they're a low demand item.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
IJ.;1806533 said:
Ring Toyota, I know here they almost give TEM shocks away as they're a low demand item.

I thought you were being totally sarcastic. Then I looked it up on Champion. The stock parts are actually very affordable.

[ 18 ] REAR SUSPENSION / REAR SUSPENSION / SUSPENSION COMPONENTS / Shock absorber
shock absorber w/electronic suspension, w/electronic suspension Left
PARTS: Order by description.
MSRP Core ? Online Price
$254.06 $0.00 $190.55

[ 18 ] REAR SUSPENSION / REAR SUSPENSION / SUSPENSION COMPONENTS / Shock absorber
shock absorber w/electronic suspension, w/electronic suspension Right
MSRP Core ? Online Price
$254.06 $0.00 $190.55

$190 per corner isn't half as bad as I expected it to be. Still comes to a staggering $800 USD to fix all four, but I dont think that's too far off from the Illuminas.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
suprarx7nut;1806668 said:
I thought you were being totally sarcastic. Then I looked it up on Champion. The stock parts are actually very affordable.

shock absorber w/electronic suspension, w/electronic suspension Left
MSRP Core ? Online Price
$254.06 $0.00 $190.55

shock absorber w/electronic suspension, w/electronic suspension Right
MSRP Core ? Online Price
$254.06 $0.00 $190.55

$190 per corner isn't half as bad as I expected it to be. Still comes to a staggering $800 USD to fix all four, but I dont think that's too far off from the Illuminas.
One of the guys here got em for $50 a pair ;)