The TEMS System and HKS EAC-T Bible

bhmsupra

Supramania Contributor
May 29, 2008
It's Not Important Bro
I have an install on a HKS TEMS to do so SUBSCRIBED to this great thread. Only way I know to subscribe is to post. Sorry for bringing this post back to life.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Has anyone ever changed the LEDs in the controller? Red lights make me nervous lol, and blue goes with the rest of my dash a lot better

Also - has anybody ever had the stencils on the buttons redone?

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Drake69;1765984 said:
You are going to need a wiring diagram from the FSM for that. I did not get that in-depth with the engineering of the ECU-to-TEMS system, so I would have no earthly idea what to tell you. Check Cygnus's TSFSM for your electrical wiring needs.

Just read this. Does this mean that my TEMS won't work with a soarer 1JZ swap?

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
yhatzee89;1928979 said:
Has anyone ever changed the LEDs in the controller? Red lights make me nervous lol, and blue goes with the rest of my dash a lot better

Also - has anybody ever had the stencils on the buttons redone?

Never had to do this, and I've not heard anyone else having to do it. Would be interesting to see what you come up with.

yhatzee89;1928982 said:
Just read this. Does this mean that my TEMS won't work with a soarer 1JZ swap?

It's possible. As I said in my earlier post, I don't know what the effect would be after swapping the engine, but I would suspect it won't AUTOMATICALLY switch over based on the missing sensors.

It SHOULD still be selectable, something I get to test out when I finish my 2JZ swap. I'll let everyone know about that later on.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
So I'll be able to switch between modes, but if I start getting on it or try coming to a sudden stop, I'm in for whatever mode is selected without it bumping up to stiff? Best guess?

I was looking at mine tonight and it looks like i would have to melt the hot glue that holds the circuit board and buttons into the plastic housing, then it's a matter of finding new blue LEDs that work and soldering them in ( I hate electrical work :/) I think it would be worth it to even leave the sport mode one red lol

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
yhatzee89;1929038 said:
So I'll be able to switch between modes, but if I start getting on it or try coming to a sudden stop, I'm in for whatever mode is selected without it bumping up to stiff? Best guess?

I was looking at mine tonight and it looks like i would have to melt the hot glue that holds the circuit board and buttons into the plastic housing, then it's a matter of finding new blue LEDs that work and soldering them in ( I hate electrical work :/) I think it would be worth it to even leave the sport mode one red lol

Exactly. It should still be selectable, you'd just lose the automatic functions when the car pitches and yaws.

Since this has become a really-expensive item, you're thinking of doing something I wouldn't even attempt on a good day. Best of luck and post up the results!

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
EDIT: I have removed my "ill-conceived" post, as OP's first couple posts very succinctly explain the system and little (or no) value was added.

-crisp

Last edited:

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
That could VERY WELL be true, as you did experience it. I'm sure the ECU does some sort of calculation that would adjust for the speed differences, but it also uses the sensors for G-forces that are applied to the car when it does a maneuver at speed.

Great point!

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
Drake69;1929106 said:
That could VERY WELL be true, as you did experience it. I'm sure the ECU does some sort of calculation that would adjust for the speed differences, but it also uses the sensors for G-forces that are applied to the car when it does a maneuver at speed.

Great point!

EDIT: Drake was gracious with his reply to my previous post, but again, I added little to his exceptional first couple posts and have removed an additional post I made here.

-crisp

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Its all in the first post of this thread....

The four sensors which assist in the various settings are:

1: Throttle Position Sensor (TPS): for anti-squat
2: Brake sensor: for anti-dive (nose-forward during hard braking)
3: Steering-angle sensor: for anti-roll (side-to-side)
4: Speed sensor: for anti-squat and “Firm” setting

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
3p141592654;1929116 said:
Its all in the first post of this thread....

The four sensors which assist in the various settings are:

LOL! Let me now wipe the EGG off my face! (How short my OLD memory has become!)

...my apologies for the ignorant posts... I shall be donning sack-cloth and ashes for the rest of the day.;)

Carry on...

EDIT: As a follow-up, I edited out my earlier "ill-fated" posts.

-crisp

Last edited:

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
"The TEMS system (short for Toyota Electronically Modulated Suspension) is an advanced suspension system found on many of the 3rd generation MKIII Supras and the Soarers of that era as well as newer Toyota vehicles like the Sequoia and Land Cruiser, and was and still is an impressive feature"

So is it possible to get an ECU from a TEMS + 1JZ equipped soarer and possibly have it work as stock? Just a thought

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
yhatzee89;1929215 said:
So is it possible to get an ECU from a TEMS + 1JZ equipped soarer and possibly have it work as stock? Just a thought

I have no idea on that. I truly don't know what Soarers have and can't even guess at compatibility.

And no sweat Crisp, it's all good!

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
Drake69;1929386 said:

Thanks, Drake! (Tickled you used a couple shots of mine in the opening posts! Honored to be a part of the TEMS/EAC-T history!) :)

-crisp

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
yhatzee89;1929401 said:
Crisp, have you ever attempted to open up any of the HKS pieces?

yhatzee, some, yes. There are sometimes "option functions" controlled by dip switches that are not explained publically in their literature. (Although some seem to be "hermetically sealed" as well, perhaps?) LOL!

-crisp

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
crisp;1929433 said:
yhatzee, some, yes. There are sometimes "option functions" controlled by dip switches that are not explained publically in their literature. (Although some seem to be "hermetically sealed" as well, perhaps?) LOL!

-crisp

Have you ever replaced an LED in any of them? The EAC-T doesn't seem to be sealed as well lol, just some hot melt glue

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
yhatzee89;1929437 said:
Have you ever replaced an LED in any of them? The EAC-T doesn't seem to be sealed as well lol, just some hot melt glue

I have not. My TEMS EAC-T system has been working flawlessly on the car since installed in the early '90s. One reason I am such a fan of HKS. :)

-crisp

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Drake69;1929386 said:
I have no idea on that. I truly don't know what Soarers have and can't even guess at compatibility.

Was scrolling and found this:

http://www.supras.nl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34&Itemid=50

"TEMS

Some cars come equipped with the TEMS system. In order to keep this fully functional we need to feed the TEMS ECU the right input signals from the JZ ECU. Let's see what is needed when we swap the ECU.

Connector 'B'
1 Speed signal from Combination meter Original MA7

3 M+ signal for TEMS actuators
MA7
4 +B from ECU 1G (15A)
MA7
5 Sport switch
MA7

7 GND
MA7

9 M- signal for TEMS actuators
MA7
10 SOL for TEMS actuators
MA7
Connector 'H'
1 TEM check signal for check connector Depends on what check box we're using Hyb
2 SS1 from steering sensor
MA7
3 SS2 from steering sensor
MA7
4 L3 from ECU Need to be made custom Add
5 L2 from ECU Need to be made custom Add
6 VS signal from steering sensor
MA7
7 'Hard' led signal
MA7
8 'Soft' led signal
MA7
9 'Normal' led signal
MA7
10 Stop signal from stop light switch
MA7

12 L1 from ECU Need to be made custom Add

As you can see another easy transplant. Only signals that needs to be made custom are the L1,L2 and L3 signals currently generated by the 7M ECU. Not much of a hassle I would say, we already needed to make those when we were going with the 7M ECT. Special design I would say. The rest is just plain easy!"

So it appears that this guy figured it out...?