The Small Questions Thread

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Is your timing good?

Also make sure the o2 sensor is good.

And stock turbos supposed to have 2 cats. but its not impossible to pass with 1.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
My o2 sensor is factory I think, so I will change that. My timing should be fine but I will check it again the problem is the key on my crank is worn and the slot it goes in is also worn, so the dampener wobbles a bit when I shine the timing light. Last year I passed with my current exhaust setup the only difference was that I had the EGR cooler gasket leak. Would advancing the timing help lower emissions? I know not do it too much but since my dampener is wobbly I was wonder if setting it a little more than the spec 10 degrees if it would help.

Last edited:

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
So I got new filters orings ect for the stock 440s but I'm wondering if the new filters(left) will make a diff they seem to be smaller and more restrictive than the stock(right) due to less available surface area(black plastic). Should I be concerned or overthinking things?
bf0b263d9e1b0e5a0237b6befe37922d.jpg
e3e525e2c9d774fd85cd2da3b9bd9686.jpg
3fa6e22ccf985d5ed7f92a0d2d1824c4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I resolved my issue a different way lol. I'll be fine for inspection until next year when I can just run straight exhaust lol.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
There is something I forgot to ask because it hasn't happened recently until again today. After driving to one place then I drove to a friend's house and stayed there for like 15min or so then went to start my car and it started perfectly fine then it died, started fine, then died. It just would not hold idle on it's own until I gave it some gas and held it for like 30 seconds then the car like, "Okay I'll idle for you." Think my IACV is going bad or needs cleaning? Seems to be a warm start up thing because it has never happened when it was a cold start.

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
So in recently aquired a new passenger euro mirror but the mirror is white, anyone on here able to give me advice on how to properly change the color because i have no clue and know the rubbery housing is quite fragile

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
I rattle canned my mirrors with some duplicolor white and matching clear coat. Just make sure you take some time and sand /prime them before your spray your base coat.

Unless you look real close you can hardly tell they were rattle canned. No paint cracks or anything before I sold the shell
9e5708aab407915ea6d23764b35ee27c.jpg

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I got my paint from http://www.automotivetouchup.com/shop.htm I sprayed the piece of paper that it comes with to test the paint and it looks great and the pearl comes out nicely as well. Make sure you enter in your year and such and find your paint code and order the paint in spray cans. The problem for me since I have pearl white mica I have to try to match 20 year old OEM pearl paint and matching pearl is almost impossible. I am just going to take it slow and do some tests on how many layers I put on before the clear coat.

Can anybody give a quick yes or no answer; do sparkplugs show the condition of the oil control rings? Will there be oil coated on the spark plug of there is a problem with that cylinders oil control rings? And for the best results do I check theses plugs for oil when the engine is hot or when the engine is cold?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The plugs will show oil being burnt in the combustion chamber. but that doesnt mean its from the rings.

If your rings are worn then you will have smoke out the tail pipe.

Could also b head gasket if 7m.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You will want to run either stock tension clamps(which might not fit as the silicone hoses are slightly bigger) or you will need hose clamps with an inner liner so the worm part does not dig into the hose. Can also use small t bolt clamps as well.

Also if you were to get all Toyota hoses you wouldn't have to worry about them busting for a long time. The quality and fitment in the Toyota hoses is far greater than the aftermarket hoses.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
yea but Toyota hoses are expensive and get difficult to acquire. I had to wait a few days for one hose and a friend of mine with a MK3 who works at Toyota had to wait 3 weeks.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Thats what happens because these never go to the dealers anymore. Very rarely would you ever see a mk3 at a dealer. Even a mk4. the parts market is not big for toyota so they are not producing the parts anymore so basically all that is left is old stock.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I always go to my dealer for parts but I just want something that won't degrade like rubber. I have replaced one hose multiple times that I bought from the dealer because it started leaking or burst.

schmuckingham

Dec 12, 2014
OHIOWN
FOr the guys running oil coolers, do you leave your factory "cooler" coolant line hooked up? I am remote mounting my filter and adding a cooler in the bumper.