The (old) Official Gun Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
damn, thats a sweet 1911. thats alot of cash into it.

Shytheed Dumas, how much are they charging at your range? i live right near the NRA headquarters and they only charge $15/hr for non members. but there are other places near me that want like 60$ every time we go.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
90T04 said:
I finally got my pistol back from Wilson Combat today. I have been wanting to be able to post to the official gun thread for so long, well now i can!

Here it is, my Wilson Combat Springfield 1911 A-1

{snip}

Sorry, the pics dont do it justice!

Beautiful piece of hardware. Looks like nice customization work.

Congrats!

90T04

Mar 30, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.azsupras.com
Thanks for the comments guys!

Well, I went to the range today. Needless to say, a good gun cant cure a poor shot! Heres the damage:

p508859_1.jpg

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
A great gun might not cure a bad shot, but practice sure will and with a beautiful pistol like that I would be there just about every day. :)

Range fees are $9 for half an hour, and by God you had better not go 31 minutes. I'm trying to improve my shooting and that takes practice and at $20 to $30 per visit it just adds up. So I thought going to the range every couple of weeks and firing an assload of pellets in the meantime would keep the cost in line and still give me more than enough shooting time to start paying off.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
indoor range here is 8/hr per person. so 2 people sharing a lane (me teaching a friend) is $16 and you have to buy their ammo. WAAAY overpriced ammo. The closest VA game and fisheries pistol range is an hour and a half away. the extra gas money is def worth me being able to shoot my own ammo.

\

outofstep

Mar 31, 2005
fwb
1911s and AR15s are such money pits. The gun hobby gets more expensive than cars at a much more alarming rate. I've got more money in just mags and ammo than my entire MK3 and all of it's upgrades.

Feuerstoss

Nov 14, 2005
Colo. Springs, CO
Jeez. Those range rates are exorbitant. There's a 'free' one a little ways outside of town, but that one tends to attract people who really shouldn't be handling firearms. The other one is about the same distance away and is much better-controlled... at $10 for the first person, $9 for each subsequent shooter... per day. The guy who runs the range is also a class 3 dealer as well, but I'm not even going to consider an FA... way too expensive for my blood.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
sytheed, check this out if you wanna put a safe one in your basement.

the bullet enters through the ramp directing it into a drum that itll spin around til it loses velocity. keeps the bullet intact so you dont get the lead dust spray. all you'd have to do is install a vent to get rid of the powder smoke.
pretty good design, looks like top-notch construction
http://www.snailtraps.com/traps.php

check here for the specific gun types
http://www.snailtraps.com/quickRef.php

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
could you build one out of some thick steel plate or is this one of those things best left to the pros? they arnt really complex.

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
whooo here it is. i was going home for an archery tournament on saterday and guess what happens to arrive just when i get there. you can see there is alittle bit of a color differance between the double star lower and the rock river upper. its more of a texture differance, the RRA upper has a finish that doesnt reflect light as much. but that doesnt really bother me. just waiting on a detachable carry handle and then i'll be breaking her in at no other range than the one in the basement of the NRA headquarters on the 25th of this month. awsome.

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
flip up sights seem to be the new hot thing, and theyer all kinda expencive. i kinda like the carry handle look anyway, would have gotten an A2 style upper if i could have gotten the same deal that i did on this one, but i couldnt.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
That's kinda what I was getting at. Flattops are great for putting optics (scopes, etc) on and I was wondering if you were going that route. And getting a flip up would be a good way to start down that path....but go with what you like! Out of the standard sites, i actually prefer the M16/M16A1 sites over the A2's Something about how the aerature lines up with my cheek mold. My M16 upper felt much more natural than my friend's A2.

Smeg!

Jan 4, 2007
Seattle
Owned a couple of fire arms is the past, M1A1, SIG 228,299 and an Egyptian mad AK-47, but by far my favorite pistol (hand cannon) is my .44 Desert Eagle, it's not practical to carry at all, just a whole lot of fun to target shoot and make a lot of noise. Never shot the .50, I'd like to try it but I'll stick with the .44

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Smeg! said:
Owned a couple of fire arms is the past, M1A1, SIG 228,299 and an Egyptian mad AK-47, but by far my favorite pistol (hand cannon) is my .44 Desert Eagle, it's not practical to carry at all, just a whole lot of fun to target shoot and make a lot of noise. Never shot the .50, I'd like to try it but I'll stick with the .44

I had one of those years ago chambered in .50 AE... Amazingly light recoil for the preposterous size of the round. I think the fact that the pistol weighed about 7 lbs when fully loaded helped. Stupidly impractical, but as you said, hell of a lot of fun.

The reason I got rid of mine was that someone offered me what I paid for it after it was a year old and the damned thing stovepiped more often than I'm willing to tolerate in any weapon, let alone a $1200+ pistol. My .45's never stovepipe and are all the fun I need.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
SC, thats shocking. i figured they'd try to tear your wrist off with the recoil.

oh, do you mind defining stovepiping?

Status
Not open for further replies.