The (old) Official Gun Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
I think my personal best was 15 minutes here in VA. The worst was an hour and a half when the State Police background check database went down......a long time to be listening to BS from the guys at the shop.....all I wanted was my Kimber ;)

ToyoHabu

Jun 25, 2005
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Just saw a news article Link, 71 year old Marine(ret) defends self and employee of a Subway from two 20 something asshats, killing one. He had a concealed carry permit. The Grand Mother of the surviving criminals, objects to characterization in the media of the Marine(ret) being called a Hero, saying "He should not have taken the law in his hands,"

My only wish is that his aim was just a hair better, but at 71 I'm gonna let it slide.

pparrigo

India Delta OneZero Tango
Feb 12, 2008
WNY
On the way back to my house from a company picnic today, I happened to stop in the gun shop near work. Mainly, I wanted to make sure they carried the SIG P220s and Revolution GSRs, but I wasn't opposed to making a purchase. Ended up coming home with a CZ BRNO m98 in 8mm Mauser. Now I'm trying to figure out whether it's of the 1924-1930 vintage of from 1946-1950. Either way, it's a very well built piece. Nothing rattles when I shake it, as it should be.

pparrigo

India Delta OneZero Tango
Feb 12, 2008
WNY
I went up to Albany this weekend with some NROTC friends of mine for some range time. This is what we had between the three of us (well, 2 of us, the other dude doesn't own any)

Bottom 3 (Mossberg, CETME, and his new 10/22) are not mine, the rest are.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 39

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
still no ruger in sight, but find this laying on my bed... :naughty:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
That 1022 is from Tactical Solutions.. here in Boise.. niffty stuff, but dang expensive for what you get.

I have a 1022 with the Butler Creek carbon fiber barrel.. (It is a stainless steel barrel wrapped up with a carbon fiber bull barrel.. very light, and very accurate.) That is then in a bull barrel ready Hogue rubber overmolded stock that free floats the barrel.. (Much like the Tactical Solutions job does.)

I've shot against a fully spec'd out TS 1022 with a 800.00 Nikon scope on it.. and my 60.00 3x9 Weaver works just fine..

I even swapped with the owner of the TS.. and did not like his stock.. the thumb hole is too small for my large hands.. but that scope is nice for sure.. The gun is not really any more accurate however.. :)

I'm into mine about 400.00 including what I paid for the 1022 many years ago. (About 180.00 IIRC.)

On another topic.. what do you guys think of the new Smith & Wesson M&P Compact 9mm? (With a Crimson Trace sight on it of course....) I have been looking for a compact CCW, and was about the buy the Tarus, but nobody makes a sight for it except for the rail mount types.. and I don't want that hanging off the front, besides, CT makes it so easy to have a laser sight on your pistol! Easy grip on and off button, and on the M&P it is a back strap activated switch.. like on the Glock setup.

I'm supprised that no maker has integrated a laser into the pistol frame or slide. It would be so easy to build right into the gun, especially with the polymer frame pistols.

jesse420

Aug 11, 2008
steep falls
i got a Winchester .12 gauge and i also have a smith and weston .22 and a .25 milli both hand guns and I want to get more guns I want some hunting riffles or some heavy assault weapons I need to check the gun codes in Maine tho

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
iwannadie;1106253 said:
How much does something like that run, I really want to get a rifle some time soon ha.

depends bro...I've seen build it yourself kits starting around $500, it all depends what you want to spend/what options your guns has/quality of parts. If you look around and go to gun shows, you could probably pick one up for less then $500.

ridah

Thats rice
Apr 4, 2005
Beverly Hills
outofstep;369447 said:
Over penetration has never been an issue for any caliber, nor has it ever been a legitimate safety concern. First; an over penetrating CNS shot is still a CNS shot, the perp is dead. Over penetration simply leaves two holes to bleed out of. If over penetration occurs with a good expanding bullet, the wound channel is just that much larger. Also if a bullet over penetrates in ballistics gelatin, it simply means it can overcome intermediate barriers and still perform. Through the car door and still fuck up the baddie. There has only ever been ONE case where a police shoot out where over penetration harmed a bystander (went through the bad guy and hit an innocent), but it was not with 10mm. The innocent hit was not killed or even seriously wounded.

Late in this thread but I was reading my way through this thread and came across this and remember a new story from the other week.

"They get into a gun battle. There's some collateral damage. There's a backdrop issue, that is when people are shooting through things, or bullets traveling and hitting innocent persons," says Chief Tucker.

"He tried to point the gun on me, and when he point the gun on me, I shot once," says Piedra.

During the malay, Piedra accidently shot his 17-year-old son.

"My kid was behind and that's how he got shot because the bullet went through him and hit my son in the back," said Piedra.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local&id=6356067

I'm all for people arming themselves but I don't think those statistics are true. This is a case that happen near by me just posted last week. I doubt this is the first time this ever has happened. I'd pack hollowtips myself if I was protecting my business.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
got my ruger back and it's not doing this...

p1126951_1.jpg

...or only done it once out of 160 rounds. but it seems the slide is picking up the 2nd and 3rd round of the magazine causing a malfunction. I just wished I had a gun that was hansom(pun intended :icon_razz ), fits my hand and works good! That too much to ask?

MA70Supra88

Boostless
Mar 31, 2005
Boerne, TX
I picked up a Sig Mosquito a few weeks ago and got a chance to shoot it for the first time this past weekend. I wasn't expecting too much from it due to all the reviews I've read about it jamming and failing to cycle properly, but I didn't have any problems.

sig_mosquito.jpg

I got this because I wanted something cheap to plink with. I can go out and kill beer cans all day long now. :icon_bigg

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
MA70Supra88;1133141 said:
I picked up a Sig Mosquito a few weeks ago and got a chance to shoot it for the first time this past weekend. I wasn't expecting too much from it due to all the reviews I've read about it jamming and failing to cycle properly, but I didn't have any problems.

I got this because I wanted something cheap to plink with. I can go out and kill beer cans all day long now. :icon_bigg

I shot one of those...trigger was stupid heavy

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
I finally got a pistol as well as my concealed carry permit . Browning 9mm. My cop friend loved shooting it. He let me shoot his glock cop gun as well as his .45 kimber.

Now im looking to get something that's more concealable. I'm thinking of a springfield subcompact of some flavor.

Anyone got some input on a good subcompact?

Status
Not open for further replies.