The (old) Official Gun Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amontgomery

not so sad 10psi
Apr 1, 2008
Cleveland, MS
Thanks. Its a series one by the way(without the firing pin safety). I traded in a polymer SiG and a WASR-10 for it. I love it to death. I have fired over 3000rds through it with only 2 jams(both were with a bad magazine).

The Taurus one looks good, but build quality of the parts and the fit and finish isn't as good as it could be. For the same money you could have an STI Spartan with hand fitted frame to slide fit, target sights, and match barrel. MSRP is right at 600 if not a little under for a new one which puts it right under the price of the Taurus but much better quality.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
Amontgomery;1029882 said:
I figured I would post up a pic of my Kimber. I have a pretty nice long range rifle to, in 308win. With the right ammo it gets groups about a 30cm or better at a km. Its easily under 1/4MOA at 100m. I don't have a picture of the rifle though. Its an old Ruger M77 that was accurized by a police swat sharpshooter then traded in for another caliber. Its got a blueprinted action, lightened trigger, 1 in 10" six groove target barrel, and other bells and whistles.

Awesome Kimber. I've got a newer Kimber Custom Target II. Freakin great gun. Do you like your Wilson Mags? I've got a Tripp Research Cobramag that rocks.

Amontgomery

not so sad 10psi
Apr 1, 2008
Cleveland, MS
Yes! The Wilson Mags are the best I have personally tried, I have two of them and I use them exclusively. I have heard great things about the Tripp mags to. The follower on the hybrid mags is much better than the one on the Wilson because its stronger and will continue to lock the slide back over time.

Have you had any problems with the series II firing pin safety?

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
Amontgomery;1030342 said:
Thanks. Its a series one by the way(without the firing pin safety). I traded in a polymer SiG and a WASR-10 for it. I love it to death. I have fired over 3000rds through it with only 2 jams(both were with a bad magazine).

The Taurus one looks good, but build quality of the parts and the fit and finish isn't as good as it could be. For the same money you could have an STI Spartan with hand fitted frame to slide fit, target sights, and match barrel. MSRP is right at 600 if not a little under for a new one which puts it right under the price of the Taurus but much better quality.

i was thinking the ad i saw for a taurus placed it around 800-900, i'll have to look through and see if i can find it again. thanks for the tip-off!

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
Amontgomery;1030404 said:
Yes! The Wilson Mags are the best I have personally tried, I have two of them and I use them exclusively. I have heard great things about the Tripp mags to. The follower on the hybrid mags is much better than the one on the Wilson because its stronger and will continue to lock the slide back over time.

Have you had any problems with the series II firing pin safety?

No. It's not a primary/carry gun, so I'm not going to worry about it. I just wanted a nice 1911 to shoot. The only thing I've done to it is changed out the flat mainspring housing for an arched Ed Brown. I tend to naturally point a flat MSH 1911 low. Guess I've been shooting too many guns with a pronounced recurve on the grip. :shrugs:

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
Yeah all 3 of my 1911's one springfield, and 2 khimbers have never(knock on wood) jammed and I have about 5000 rounds in the springfield and about 1000 rounds ea in both khimbers.

These firearms are just awesome.

I also heard that the air force is going back to the 45 instead of using the freakin M9.

Amontgomery

not so sad 10psi
Apr 1, 2008
Cleveland, MS
Yeah. That rumor has been going around for a while. USMC Force Recon uses a Kimber 45 right now though. As do a few other special forces groups. Last I heard they batted down contracts from H&K, S&W, and Springfield for a new service pistol in 45acp.

There are still a few of the old 1911s floating around out there still in service to.

Its a much better weapon, provided the company keeps with the original standards. Recent Colt models have had quality control issues. Springfield is good, Kimber is good but is falling back in quality a little just because of the demand for their products, STI is really good, which basically can be said about all of the well known custom shops, Wilson, Brown, Nighthawk, 10-8, Yam, ect.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Might as well throw up a picture of my Kimber.

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
Amontgomery;1031563 said:
Yeah. That rumor has been going around for a while. USMC Force Recon uses a Kimber 45 right now though. As do a few other special forces groups. Last I heard they batted down contracts from H&K, S&W, and Springfield for a new service pistol in 45acp.

There are still a few of the old 1911s floating around out there still in service to.

Its a much better weapon, provided the company keeps with the original standards. Recent Colt models have had quality control issues. Springfield is good, Kimber is good but is falling back in quality a little just because of the demand for their products, STI is really good, which basically can be said about all of the well known custom shops, Wilson, Brown, Nighthawk, 10-8, Yam, ect.

Yeah they need to go back to the 45 1911 its a much more formidable weapon and it definitely gets the point across instead of the m9 which will only piss someone off lol.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
just got back from the range, shot a buddy's dan wesson 1911.

this one isn't his but looks roughly the same, he's got some weird checkmark pattern cut all around the frame of it. ill have to get some pictures

danwesson37km.jpg

Amontgomery

not so sad 10psi
Apr 1, 2008
Cleveland, MS
The only downside to the 1911 as a service pistol for this generation is the capacity. Maxed out someone can carry 9 maybe 10 rounds. While if you know how to use it it can work perfectly, a service pistol isn't made for highly trained competition shooters who can reload in their sleep, its made for violent adrenaline-flooded confrontations where a smooth reload is much less likely, even if the shooter is well trained and practiced.

The extra capacity of modern doublestacks, combined with a much simpler to operate DA/SA or DAO trigger gives them a much greater advantage over the 1911 in an actual combat situation. Modern pistol tactics also emphasize firing multiple rounds into a single target to ensure decapacitation. Where this would not be necessary with a larger round, it would require changing a whole school of thought and instinct reactions to move back to firing single rounds in high adrenaline situations. The current crop of soldiers would exhaust whole mags on two or three enemies and be left wondering why their gun is jamming when they run out of ammunition. A high capacity service pistol is the only option for immediate fielding.

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
Amontgomery;1033598 said:
The only downside to the 1911 as a service pistol for this generation is the capacity. Maxed out someone can carry 9 maybe 10 rounds. While if you know how to use it it can work perfectly, a service pistol isn't made for highly trained competition shooters who can reload in their sleep, its made for violent adrenaline-flooded confrontations where a smooth reload is much less likely, even if the shooter is well trained and practiced.

The extra capacity of modern doublestacks, combined with a much simpler to operate DA/SA or DAO trigger gives them a much greater advantage over the 1911 in an actual combat situation. Modern pistol tactics also emphasize firing multiple rounds into a single target to ensure decapacitation. Where this would not be necessary with a larger round, it would require changing a whole school of thought and instinct reactions to move back to firing single rounds in high adrenaline situations. The current crop of soldiers would exhaust whole mags on two or three enemies and be left wondering why their gun is jamming when they run out of ammunition. A high capacity service pistol is the only option for immediate fielding.

I dont know if I would agree to that statement. Here is why.

Granted, using a pistol is usually during high pressure situations. However, The M9 wouldnt carry that much more rounds. IMHO a soldier would much rather be able to decapacitate someone in 1-2 shots rather than half a clip. This allows a well trained soldier the ability to shoot less and reload less. Allowing a soldier to do more with less. In todays warfare one times(hollow points) arent allowed unless they are either issued to you or if you were cleared to use them.

Also in the old days there were a lot more high pressure shooting situations than todays warfare. And back then they used the 1911 rather than a 9 mil. This was because a shot from the 1911 will put an enemy down but a shot from a 9 mil will just piss them off. In todays warfare you want a pistol to put an enemy down because they are highly motivated and will stop at nothing until they are dead. This is why the M9 has proven not as effective as the 1911.

Also because the 1911 is much more potent the shooter doesnt have to be as accurate to accomplish the same task as with the M9. This takes a little pressure off of our GI's and puts the hurt back into our enemy.

I think the 1911 has proven itself multiple times and in multiple wars and battlefronts to be a successful pistol and its only stupidity to not bring it back. just my .02

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
HP are not issued rounds. Geneva convention, and all that.

I think Monty's right on the money. Capacity balanced with power. There are much better platforms out there now that cater to a more casual shooter (think Army Reserves and National Guard - not everyone is a superduperDeltaSEAL) and are more intuitive than the 1911's SAO setup. DA/SA, DAO, Safe Action, etc are all much better choices for a mass-issued service weapon. As for caliber - :shrugs: - 9x19 is a NATO round, so don't expect it to go anywhere. There have been rumblings to bring back the .45, but I'll believe it when I see it.

That being said - there are still specialized units and SpecOps teams that choose to run the 1911.

Amontgomery

not so sad 10psi
Apr 1, 2008
Cleveland, MS
The M9 can be fitted with magazines carrying up to 15 rounds if not more because it is double stack and 9mm. The more reliable 1911 mags carry only 7 rounds. The M9 has double the capacity. And the capability to hit is just as important with a 1911 or any other 45 as it is with a 9mm. Its not a shotgun. And where the 45 does carry more than 100grs difference per round more than the typical 9mm round, it does not give such the advantage in "stopping power" as to completely warrant the weight and knock in capacity.

What I was saying about the training is simply that the soldier is trained to fire in what
is known as failure to fall drills. This is a double tap followed by a single shot to the face. This is standard with all semi-auto and auto firearms from pistols to combat rifles. In a combat situation one reverts back to instinct and does not rely on thought processing. So a soldier would revert to this same double tap regardless of whether he has a 50 or a 22.

And as far as replacement is concerned, it would be a world wide effort. Or at least NATO/UN wide. We rarely go into a situation without the aid of another nation in the UN. And in such a situation, it is vital to be able to interchange rounds with ones allies. I think the direction will be not to go towards the 45 but towards new multi use cartridges, such as the 5.7mmFN which can be fired from a pistol or pdw. It offers advantages that the 45 does not. The ability to penetrate body armor as well cause a significant wound track by burrowing as a 5.56nato does. That and the fact that one can carry more rounds than even a 9mm in a pistol, and way more than the capacity of another pdw(50rds in the P90 as opposed to 30 rds in the MP5). The only downside is the current production cost of the round.

Anyone handled a P90 before? That is a very nice feeling firearm. Its very point and shoot. I would like to buy one when I get up enough money.

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
I just picked up a cheap ass Raven .25 today at the Spokane gun show. I usually carry a Taurus .45 but for reasons I wont get into for simplicity I dont have it available right now.

Hopefully if I ever have to use it, it wont just piss the bad guy off.

Im going to go look for some lightweight high-velocity ammo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.