The Mistress

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I am not a big audio fan but I want to have something nice. There is already a nice deck installed in the car. It is an Alpine with a USB IPod cable connection in the back and is XM Compatible.

I was thinking of getting a amp and running two front door speakers and two tweeters. I don't really need a sub since the mid-range can do that for me. My cousin does audio installs, so he knows brands off the back of his hand and not the new stuff but he likes old school brands.

What do you recommend Grim? I was looking at a simply 4 channel AMP and some pinoneers? I am not looking to spend over 500-600 dollars, can I get something decent for that price?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Shouldn't even cost that. :) You've got the right idea - simple 4 channel amp, some basic 3.5" co-ax speakers for the rear seats, a nice set of 6.5" component separates for the front, RCA cables, speaker wire, and a remote wire. A set of the speaker pods for the 6.5" driver from KevinM or from a 91+ car.

To be honest, I don't have any feedback on the Pioneer amp yet - I chose it because it's a class D, which is supposed to be significantly more efficient, but I've only got an hour or so of use on it so far. The price was right at $200, though.

As for speakers, I'd try to find something that has a slightly smaller magnet than the JBLs I used, so you don't have to modify the door itself, still uses a soft dome tweeter, (unless you like extreme highs that threaten to decapitate passengers) and doesn't break the bank. I don't have any particular brand loyalty beyond that, so whatever you can get a good deal on, or whatever your cousin is fond of. I spent under $200 for mine. I'm running Alpine 3.5" coax units for the rear seats, they were ~$75.

Buy and run three RCA cables. I know you say you don't care about a sub, however, the cost of an extra RCA is minimal, and running them is a pain. If you ever change your mind, you'll thank me for making you spend the extra $10 now, rather than tearing out the interior so you can run another one later. Buy good RCAs - they are cheap on fleabay, and swapping them later is painful. They are the single most difficult component to replace, so you only want to do it once. Run a single wire along with the RCA cables for the amplifier remote power.

I can't emphasize this enough... check your pricing against fleabay. Some stuff you can buy cheaper locally, some stuff you can get cheaper online.

Oh, and power cable - I'm fond of welding cable, usually 4 gauge. It's cheap, flexible, and tough. You can likely use 8 instead, if it's significantly cheaper, otherwise bigger is better. :)

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Ok, cool. I will do that. Thanks for tips.

I read about the old MB Quartz amps being good quality and some of then can be found for as cheap as 50 bucks on EBay, what's your opinion?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
IBoughtASupra;1676089 said:
Ok, cool. I will do that. Thanks for tips.

I read about the old MB Quartz amps being good quality and some of then can be found for as cheap as 50 bucks on EBay, what's your opinion?

Until recently, I've been using old school amps, and for the price they can't be beat. The only concern is the usual wear and tear - and the fact that not everything purchased used off fleabay actually works.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Small update... picked up some stainless bolts to replace some ugly old ones today. Also installed my new hood bump stops, and the new shifter boot. Pics below!

Old and ugly:
P1000838a.JPG

Shiney!
P1000840a.JPG

Smooth:
P1000843a.JPG

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
honestabe;1718246 said:
Nice cheap upgrade Dave, looks good. I suspect a new shift boot is next on your list?
New shift boot is on the list... schedule for sewn items is always kind of up in the air, as I get my mom to do 'em. She's retired, and doesn't seem to run on the same kind of schedule as the rest of the world. :)

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Wow... it's not often someone catches me out, but Ryan's right on the money there, I meant ebrake boot.

Anyway, today Bill wired in my new toy:
ngk-afx.jpg

I'll post up some kind of pic when it's not black outside.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Yes, it's on top of the steering column for now. Just drove it home from his shop, in the dark... that LED display is holy shit bright. As in, you could read a newspaper by the flickering red light it shines on the inside of the car.

I'm going to have to tint it or something.

On the flip side, the sensor is VERY nice.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Today it was time to fix the 3rd brake light that's been annoying me with it's dead diodes. I can now say that this job can be completed in about 9 hours, including time for the new silicone to dry. Here's some pics of the process...

The annoyance:
P1000850.JPG

Spoiler off, 3rd brake light out...
P1000852.JPG

Disconnected from it's mounting bracket...
P1000853.JPG

Lots of careful dremeling later...
P1000854.JPG

Desoldering and resoldering for hours...
P1000855.JPG

Stick it all back together with silicone...
P1000858.JPG

The payoff!
P1000859.JPG

P1000859a.JPG