The Head is on, few q's.

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
Hey all, when I wrote the tittle i was thinking of that song "the heat is on". Could be a theme song for the 7M. LOL

Any ways, I got the head back on with not to much fuss. Had to run all over town looking for a thin wall 14mm socket only to grind my own down. Torqued the ARP's down to 82 with the permatex disc quiet on the cometic MHG. The Head is fully Reconditioned AND CRACK TESTED! (for IJ). Now I have just two questions.

First is when I opened the little bag with my spark plugs I found this little plate (see the pic) Its to late to go out and check but where on the head does it go? I didn't take it off. I will eventually find it but whats its purpose?

Second. The CPS. This is what I have found out. When putting it back on make sure piston 1 is at TDC, make sure both cams are at TDC and just install, right. Place timming belt on and turn 720'. Make sure it still lines up and hey presto..... ( The cams TDC can be found with the little notch on the cam gears facing directly up right?) I need to search some more I know but I have to be up in 5 hrs for work and then straight back into the engine

Thanks heaps and wish me luck. (IJ getting the little allen key out on Thur/fri.)

Ps. Second pic is just of my dump pipe. mmmm big.

Attachments

• plate2.JPG
    plate2.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 46
  • zorst2.JPG
    zorst2.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 45

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Mk3 TurboS said:
First is when I opened the little bag with my spark plugs I found this little plate (see the pic) Its to late to go out and check but where on the head does it go? I didn't take it off. I will eventually find it but whats its purpose?
I've never noticed it on my head before, so I don't have any idea.
Mk3 TurboS said:
Second. The CPS. This is what I have found out. When putting it back on make sure piston 1 is at TDC, make sure both cams are at TDC and just install, right. Place timming belt on and turn 720'. Make sure it still lines up and hey presto..... ( The cams TDC can be found with the little notch on the cam gears facing directly up right?) I need to search some more I know but I have to be up in 5 hrs for work and then straight back into the engine

That's exactly how I did it.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
e90suprat said:
You also need to make sure the engine is on the compression stroke before you install the cps. The tsrm details how to do this.

by rotating the motor 720 degrees & ensuring that both the cams & the #1 piston are at TDC, he is making sure that the #1 piston is on the compression stroke.

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
hmmmm, Mines a jap import and know hey didn't come with all that EGR stuff. Dont know weather or not they used a block off plate or not. Well thats good about the CPS. IJ you have a pic of the back of the head with this sucker on it?

Cheers all.

EDIT: If it is the block off plate I dont to remove the head to get it on right? Im at work atm so I cant check.

Last edited:

mazzer

Banned
May 3, 2005
st.louis,mo
no . it sits at the very back of the head facing the fender just before the manifold starts.with the egr gone there should be nothing in way of seing it.get it together and start it up.lol youll know exactly where it is then

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
Cheers for the pic IJ, +1 to all of you guys. ohhhh I just love this place. :love:

Turbo and Inlet go back on this arvo and all those little F*&king connections. I have to get a new plug for the one that goes to the trans as I just cut it in half. It was alot easier then trying to get to it.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Welcome Pete!

Pay special attention to the Oil return make sure the gasket surface is clean on both it and the block and don't lose the copper washers from the turbo supply! (bit of a hint wheel bearing grease holds em in place nicely)

I'm sure the guys have some other useful hints/tips!

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
Yeah im confident about the turbo side as this will be the second time Ive done it. (rebuilt it a while back). But yeah that oil return and supply is a bitch. But apart from that nice and straight forward.

mazzer

Banned
May 3, 2005
st.louis,mo
on the tranny connector. i just put a jack under the trans and removed the 4 bolts that hold the trans cross-member to the body and you can lower the trans down plenty to get to that connector with ease.:biglaugh:

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
Yeah Mazzer, was going to do it that way and decided to just cut them. Alot easier.

Got the turbo back on along with the entire Exhaust side yesterday. Started to work on the Intake and found that im missing one Injector insulator thing. Damn I was shitty!. But yeah I will pick 6 newies up this arvo and install them. I'm still a little scared of all those plugs and vacum hoses but i'll get there...... Maybe.....

Few tips: Label every single bolt you take off. EVERY SINGLE ONE!!! DONT say ill just put it there and remember what it is later. YOU WONT!!!

Take lots and LOTS of pics! trying to figure out the vacum hoses is an absolute BIATCH! LOTS OF PICS!

Have a packet of smokes and a bottle of jim beam handy. It helps ease the pain of all those little cuts on your hands.

DONT DROP an allenkey head down the oil gallery into the sump! Just DONT.

mazzer

Banned
May 3, 2005
st.louis,mo
i try and put every bolt back where it came from generaly. in the end i was left with a small amount which were easy to remember where they were. i also labeled all the vacuum lines. makes it much much easier.i had mine apart for a month and it went together smoothly.good luck

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
LMAO I have 4>5 motors in various states of disassembly and have NFI ;)!

I have one untouched complete one to use as a "pattern" so I can figure out which new bolts and studs go where!

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
hey ij. is the waistgate going to hit the oil pan? looks pretty tight from the pik>? i dunno im confused, there is an upper waistgate i see already?