The Guitar Thread.

Cycoclown

SHAAWING!!!
Jan 18, 2008
Vacaville, CA
www.myspace.com
Ok for all you guitar players out there. i cant decide if i want to get another guitar. or change my rig.

if im buying a new amp im thinkin MESA Triple Rec OR......... buy a razorback or i was thinking a Hellraiser :)... My guitar i play right now is a Les Paul Custom with EMG 81/85's

my Rig right now is a Crate XT120R it has good sound but i play through a Zoom G2 which really screams, over all its still a good sound.

i think i might be growing out of solidstate amps. They sound to Flat. i want something with crunch and high gain but not tooooo muddy...

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Taylor Acoustic and Gibson SG. I was in a band for about 6-7 years, and played through a 150w Mesa Triple Rec. (tube amp) and Marshall 4x12 cab. The cab got stolen a few years back, still have the head and everything else. Man, that setup sounded so good!

I haven't even plugged the amp in, or played my electric in about 4 years. :( And I only barely play the acoustic nowadays. Music isn't my number one priority like it used to be, though I still fuck around every so often just to make sure I can still play. Rusty as hell FTL.

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Coming from a prosound guy and I play, your rig will have a bigger impact on your sound quality, that is seeing as you are playing a LP ;)

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
Mesa's are overpriced noise boxes. They are good but not something from Laney's catalog that can't do the same thing.
But anyway i love guitar, and everything. I'm working on a new sound, hopefully i can get it to work.

Cycoclown

SHAAWING!!!
Jan 18, 2008
Vacaville, CA
www.myspace.com
NEW AMP IT IS. im going with the line 6 half stack, today i thought crankin the crate to 1/2 way with the garage open at 1pm would be fun. Turns out i blew the left speaker and snaped the High E and the G string, i didnt notice i blew it till i turned it down..

alls i heard was "rublbalbaglahsahshafioewf" lol................... :( back to the good old fender 212 :\

Cycoclown

SHAAWING!!!
Jan 18, 2008
Vacaville, CA
www.myspace.com
Mr.PFloyd;1312204 said:
Mesa's are overpriced noise boxes. They are good but not something from Laney's catalog that can't do the same thing.
But anyway i love guitar, and everything. I'm working on a new sound, hopefully i can get it to work.

what kind of sound are u looking for?

I play guitar quite a lot, I still use the first guitar and amp I ever bought though haha. I've got an early 90s Ibanez RG570 and a Line 6 30 watt amp that randomly turns effects on and off :(

At least for what I play, the floyd isn't really worth it. It's fun to mess with sometimes but I would prefer a solid bridge if I were buying something new. The amp needs serious upgrading, which might happen now that the Supra is running and I can put some money into other things :D

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Floyds get great tone and sustain, and a blocked off floyd just stops you from pulling back on the bar.

Eddie Van Halen has his blocked off for a reason ;)

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Mr.PFloyd;1312204 said:

Agreed on the fact that they're overpriced. I think I paid $1700 way back when I got mine. When played through a decent Marshall cab though, it was totally worth it!

The other guitarist in my old band played through a Laney half stack, and that thing sounded fantastic, too! But it was only single channel. It's only downfall, IMO.

This thread makes me want to find a cab and play my electric again. :( I miss being in a band!

Gunnar

Jul 11, 2008
Belgium
www.chiptuners.org
I used to play professionaly for 5 years. I started playing at 15, then kept buying crap and bigger amps till i had to go out 2-4 times a week and play.
It's nice when you have roadies during summer, but during the year it breaks your back hauling around all the stuff.

I ended up going to gigs with just two guitars and a Roland VG-8 system in the end. There's nothing easier than taking it out of the bag, plugging it line-in and having the same sound each time.

Off course, having that big dual stack behind you gives you something to put your beer on :icon_razz

Thor20

May 18, 2008
DFW Texas
Good choice on the Line 6. Which one did you get. I've been playing for over 20 years and own 15 guitars, 2 amps, and a gang of pedals. Almost all the guitars I own have floyds. I personally have a Jackson/Charvel love at the moment, but own a few others.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

not all of 'em

BTW, blocking a floyd will give you better sustain and better tuning stability than a ToM bridge. The kramer has been blocked since I put it together and sounds amazing.