The D-Drive Infinitely Variable Geared Transmission

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
I had not seen that one yet. Elegant design. Very clever. Once they work out the definite options for driving the controller shaft and prove the efficiency (which should theoretically be WAY better than anything on the market today), this could be everything the current CVT transmissions were hoped to be, without the fragility & driveability issues.

I also like this design FAR more than the DSG's out there, too. Instead of giving me *2* clutches to wear out, give me NONE. This thing could be a godsend if it reduces transmission maintenance costs by increasing lifespan.

Just gotta build it tough enough.

Of course, there's also the issue of how to manage it- how to control how fast it adjusts the ratios. Wonder if there will be any sort of manual control or if it will all be programmed by engineers who decide how fast they want you to drive...

So many questions, but such a very cool concept!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The electric motors would have to be fast, and even worse, they'd have to be spinning when you're stopped (if they fail, oops, unintended acceleration!).

Smart, but not for car use...

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Simply amazing. He has been working on it for 20 years!! I hope it pays off for him.

sweetlikechutny

Jul 3, 2005
Ontario
Poodles;1566797 said:
The electric motors would have to be fast, and even worse, they'd have to be spinning when you're stopped (if they fail, oops, unintended acceleration!).

Smart, but not for car use...

exactly what crossed my mind.

Also, the design for high power applications would need much bigger gears (obviously), from the looks of it, that would lead to a much taller transmission then whats out there today.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
CVT + winter driving - traction control = seriously scary car

Cool idea, very well thought out. That's one of those things that just occurs to you when you're laying on the beach or something. Just sheer brilliance.

sweetlikechutny

Jul 3, 2005
Ontario
figgie;1567522 said:
shot down

http://www.gizmag.com/d-drive-redux/15120/

that after some real engineers looked at it.

taken from that link: "the input motor's power would be transmitted to the wheels, where it would meet resistance under load. That load would then be passed back through the gears to the weakest point - which would be the engine driving the control shaft, if it wasn't up to the job."

I am also an engineer and thats the first thing that crossed my mind, even with the vague description and overview in the video. Now I have never worked as an engineer, just graduated recently, but if I was able to pick up on it, then why was there so much hype around this invention.. Interesting.