The beast is back!!! 1.5JZ, HOLSET HX52,etc... LOTS OF PICS!!! NEW MAFIA MEMBER!

IRACEMYCOPCAR

HOLSET MAFIA HX52
Jan 27, 2008
SOUTH CAROLINA
A little history... Ive known this car for about 10 years and always wanted to own it, even though ive had several of my own i always liked this one. it belonged to a friend of mine and started out as a stock 7MGTE. He then swapped it to a 1JZ then put a 63mm single on it, then sold that motor and built the 1.5JZ and put it back to stock twins to run at Texas 2K8 in the stock twins class. The car ran a few passes but had to retire due to a burned up clutch. In that form the car made 382WHP and 412ft/lb at 18psi. Shortly after texas it was sold to a local kid who begged my friend to sell it to him, he was a total douchebag and ran the dog piss out of it racing anything he could find on the street... the car was a monster on the street and word quickly spread around town about it. Eventually though the kid lost his license racing and when the ECU went out for the 2nd time he parked it for almost 3 years under a tree. Over the years ive kept tabs on it and wanted to restore it to its former glory so i decided to go talk to the kid about buying it from him.... when i saw it sitting under the tree with flat tires,no ecu,covered in dirt and leaves i almost gave up but for some reason i had to have it. After talking to the kid for a while he said he would sell it as he had no plans for it and would rather have the cash than a car rotting under a tree.

Here is what it looked like when i acquired it in March 2012...

p1892069_1.jpg

p1892069_2.jpg

The car was then towed to the house of the guy that built it (previous to the kid) and all the fluids were drained and filled, another 1JZ ECU was sourced and installed and the car was brought back from the dead into "running condition"

Here is a vid of the resurrection :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm4EyUfvhAc

After this the car was driven for a week or 2 and i noticed the tranny had bad synchros and then the bearings went out in it :( So it got towed back to the shop again...

sm_photo_missing.jpg

This time i replaced the tranny with one that had low milage and i filled it with redline gear oil.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I also sent the clutch (stage 3+) back to SPEC to be refinished while it was out..

sm_photo_missing.jpg

And new brakes all around...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I also did some small mods like remove that useless factory boost gauge and replace with with a useful voltage gauge from an N/A
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I also ditched the ugly 4 spoke airbag wheel and replaced it with an 89 3 spoke (same wheel used in canada and europe until 92)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I also picked up a set of polished TT rims to replace the WELDS that were on it as the cookie cutters on the front werent very good for street use.
At this point i was trying to make a weekend race at ZMAX with some co workers who all owned domestics and were doing some trash talking so i left the welds on the back because they had almost new nitto drag radials on them so i figured id rather burn the rubber off of those than the tires on the TT rims.

Finally got her ready for the race at the last min. Here she is getting ready....
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

This is the group i went with... New SS, New 5.0,etc.. they all "joked" that my car would probably be the fastest one...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

At the track...

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Running the NITTO's on the welds was a HUGE mistake!! NO TRACTION what so ever in fact i had to turn the boost down. The car was faster at 11psi than it was at 18psi...

here is me (right lane, car 50) running 11psi (stock boost) vs. the new 5.0 which was the fastest car of their group...
p1892069_3.jpg

HAHA looks like the joke was on them!!! Or maybe its on me cause now i have to wear a helmet the rest of the night :/
p1892069_4.jpg

Overall the night went well, i couldnt better my time or gain any traction ( i think the tires were old/hard) but i had fun anyway. However during the beating the oil seals went bad on one of the turbos.
I drove it home and the next day the first thing was to get rid of these:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

And install these:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

IRACEMYCOPCAR

HOLSET MAFIA HX52
Jan 27, 2008
SOUTH CAROLINA
Traction problem SOLVED!!! However after driving around a week or 2 the turbo started smoking really bad so i knew i had to replace them so back to the shop it went and while in there i *think* the 1JZ ECu took a crap AGAIN for the 3rd or 4th time so i decided thats it!!! ive had ENOUGH with CRAPPY 1JZ ECU'S!!!

So while it looked like this i started doing some research....
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I came to the conclusion that standalone seemed like overkill right now and i just needed something better than what i had.. the solution??? 2JZ ECU and sequential injection conversion!!! So i contacted Cam at Dr tweak and he hooked me up with a nice conversion harness for my car as well as new coil pack clips!! I also picked up a MAPECU 1 and ditched the SAFC2.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

And since the intake had to come off to rewire the injectors i picked up a deal on some 650cc injecotrs and an aftermarket rail.
Here she is during the wiring... (not my fav pic!!)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

So while its all apart looking like something from a mad science movie my friend thats working on it has this bright idea and says... "Hey man... why dont you just go single right now itll be pretty easy since its already apart"
So like a dumbass i fell for it.... little did i know how much time and money was about to be spent over the next 6 months.

First i sourced a tial 44mm wastegate.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Then i got real lucky and scooped up a drewgo manifold
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Fitment was great!!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

So what shall i attach to this manifold??? well ive never been one to go with the flow so after doing some searching around i decided to try something "out of the box" because i couldnt find much info on it being used in a Supra.
What is it you ask??? This monster!!!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Holset HX52 (with billet compressor wheel) FTW!!! Just for some comparison here is a few pics of it next to a stock unit.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Sweet it fits with no issues except for it needs a new elbow welded onto it.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

thats easy to do...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Much better!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

OK so i dont have pics of the next part because somehow my SD card was "corrupted" and i lost all my #*&@ing pictures on my phone but it also received USDM 2JZ GTE cams that were machined for the 1JZ along with a new blue gates racing timing belt and all seals/gaskets replaced.
Here are some pics of it pretty much as it sits today the only difference being i have an intake on the turbo now:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Here is a i vid of the first start up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJlVEXxrUn0

Me driving it home FINALLY <3

sm_photo_missing.jpg

And a short vid of it running 10psi wastegate untuned (full spool around 3900) ;) Speedometer is off since the tranny was swapped out, when it reads 45mph im really doing about 60mph according to GPS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkQnt6sEYO4&feature=relmfu

And A few Dyno clips of my supra. Baseline was 409RWHP @ 11psi on the wastegate (clip 1) It made 566RWHP @ 20psi during a boost spike (clip 2) however it was running out of fuel and running VERY lean (injectors) on the top end so we backed the boost down and it now makes 475RWHP on a very conservative tune at 14.5psi.(1 BAR) Fuel system upgrades coming soon and shooting for 600RWHP on 93 octane!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpBtth9RV9g&feature=plcp

Already started gathering for the upgrade.. so far im planning on leaving the Aeromotive 340 in the tank and using this Bosch 044 outside the tank in series up to some 880cc injectors.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Basics:

1JZ head
2JZ block
2JZ GTE USDM cams
2JZ ECU JDM 6-speed (car converted to sequential injection)
MAP ECU1
650cc siemens injectors
Aeromotive 340lph fuel pump
Holset HX52
TIAL 44MM wastegate with open dump
Drewgo manifold
R154
SPEC stage 3+

So far im pretty happy with the way she has turned out, i still have a lot of other things i need/want to do but considering what i started with its come a long way in 6 months.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Love it, I have always wondered how the HX52 would do on a 3.0, but you said it spools at 3800 or so on the 2.5, that is incredible. I bet it feels awesome.

I may have to try out a HX52 on my 7m just because of this. I should be able to find one somewhere pretty easily, and cheap.

IRACEMYCOPCAR

HOLSET MAFIA HX52
Jan 27, 2008
SOUTH CAROLINA
emericaskater285;1892077 said:
Love it, I have always wondered how the HX52 would do on a 3.0, but you said it spools at 3800 or so on the 2.5, that is incredible. I bet it feels awesome.

I may have to try out a HX52 on my 7m just because of this. I should be able to find one somewhere pretty easily, and cheap.

My car is a 1.5JZ so im running a 2JZ block (3.0L) plus im also running (bigger) USDM 2JZ GTE cams and an EBC which helps with spool also.

Albert;1892073 said:
Awesome build.

Please get rid of that filter before you destroy that turbo.

Not sure why you think a K&N will "destroy" my turbo? But im open for donations if you have something better.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
IRACEMYCOPCAR;1892100 said:
My car is a 1.5JZ so im running a 2JZ block (3.0L) plus im also running (bigger) USDM 2JZ GTE cams and an EBC which helps with spool also.

Shoot, I knew that. Well, I will know this will be a good option for me when it is time to find a turbo.

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
IRACEMYCOPCAR;1892100 said:
Not sure why you think a K&N will "destroy" my turbo? But im open for donations if you have something better.

Has nothing to do with the brand, but how big the filter is. Putting the small of a restriction on that big of a turbo can cause failure. I've rebuilt countless of turbos from people using a stock filter or a small filter.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/air_filter

Last edited:

IRACEMYCOPCAR

HOLSET MAFIA HX52
Jan 27, 2008
SOUTH CAROLINA
Thanks guys, ive ordered a different filter (10") which should take care of those concerns and ive decided to change up a few other things over the winter plus replace the cooling system and upgrade the fuel system. Hopefully itll be back on the dyno in spring.

IRACEMYCOPCAR

HOLSET MAFIA HX52
Jan 27, 2008
SOUTH CAROLINA
dubsupra209;1894986 said:
Damn 12s on 11psi pretty legit. I also went with the 89 steering wheel looks better then all the other years IMO

I have no doubt She would have gone 11.7-11.8 with the mickey thompsons i have now at 18psi. Im with you on the steering wheel. Only the US got the ugly airbag wheel, Canada and Europe had the 89 wheel until 92.

IRACEMYCOPCAR

HOLSET MAFIA HX52
Jan 27, 2008
SOUTH CAROLINA
wirelesstj;1896046 said:
wait, so are the hx52's t4 footprints? when do you see spool and full boost by what rpm??

Well its not exactly T4 but its close.... you will need to drill out the bolt holes on the turbo so they line up with a T4 manifold but its very minimal and a T4 gasket lines up fine. I see full boost by about 4000 RPM on my 1.5JZ but the turbo is a twin scroll and my drewgo manifold isnt so i may pick up a quick spool valve later.

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
hmmm i have a 2jz on stock twins and.... im seriously thinking about joining the holset supra mafia haha.

So you could run it without a tune and have it be safe and not blow youre engine? I was always under the impression you need to get it tuned? Or is that when you change the size of the injectors?